HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    zeplin 44

Mention name brands, yes, no, sometimes?

Do you mention name brands in your book?

Would you have one of your characters "put on his blue jeans," or "put on his Levi's." "get into his car." or "get into his Tahoe."

I have read that in films, manufacturer's pay to have their brands featured in the film. That's why it is no mistake when you see the lead character drinking a Bud as opposed to another brand of beer.

But I can't imagine that happening in books. Then again........

I am currently reading a thriller novel in which the writer seems to never pass up the opportunity to "name that brand." I find it distracting from the story.

Chuck Shaw

Re: Mention name brands, yes, no, sometimes?

Overdone I agree, but i also disagree with an earlier post that said to never include brands. You can say a lot about a character by saying be gets in his dirty '94 Chevie or his dirty '94 Rolls Cornice. One says a man of no substance, the other says a man wealthy enough that he doesn't worry about the appearance but can afford a hundred K plus car.

I also believe that detail is important to build a believable scene. Brands are detail and most Americans think in brand names as much as generic descriptors.

O.M.O.

CS

Beautiful Loser

I think that when a brand name is introduced it helps the reader identify with the character.

i.e. He jumped into his 94 Chevy, with a Budweiser in his hand, and threw his Levi's into the back seat vs. he jumped into his truck, with a beer in his hand, and threw his blue jeans into the back seat.

While the example give above doesn't really change the story, it does draw the reader's attention to details of familiarity, whereby a reader focuses upon the character's integrity. In short, you can relate to the character because you identify with the brand he/she ascribes.

If, however, a writer continues to use the brand names throughout the story, such redundancy would then be distracting to the entirety of the story. The story would, IMO, then become a narrative/dialogue.

zeplin 44

I agree that brand names can lend something to the character/story.

But it can be overdone.

The book I am reading now says, "he slipped on his Levi 501's."

Using the brand name is ok, but including the model # I think is going overboard.

Beautiful Loser

Yup, you're right, Zep. That would annoy me. Probably because I wear Levi's 550's/relaxed fit, etc., but if I were to write about all those details, it would be annoying to me and a reader - definitely overboard, too much info., and OVERKILL on details! ;-D

zeplin 44

Relaxed fit?

I thought you'd be wearing the skin tight Levi's.

Beautiful Loser

Very funny Zep! ;-D I may be skinny, but my skinny butt looks and feels much better in a relaxed, worn pair of Levi's. Besides, truth be known, relaxed [or "baggy" apparel] clothing makes a skinny person appear larger - definitely an optical illusion...on the other hand, my daughter wears the skin-tight variety clothes, which only make her appear skinnier than what she really is.

Beautiful Loser

Relaxed fit?

I thought you'd be wearing the skin tight Levi's.

Okay, now you've got my goat. Why would you think that I'd be wearing the skin tight Levi's? Please do tell.

zeplin 44

Hey BL, I meant it only in a good way.

You just sound like a skin tight Levi babe to me.

Beautiful Loser

Zep, I was just messin' with ya! Actually, I'm no fashion slave, and I wear what I'm comfortable with. Besides, I look and feel good in everything I wear, or don't wear. But, one thing's for sure. You won't find one garb I wear riddled with lace -- that crap scratches me skin and drives me crazy. I prefer to wear relaxed or loose-fitting clothing because I'm physically active, and I don't like any restriction of movement placed upon any of my body parts.