HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Patrick Edwards

Re: Last chapter 1st?

Exactly.

And, also, when I mentioned the "takes longer than you want," I meant in getting to that particular line (at least in my case). It's hard not to force that line/scene onto paper (and into the story) as soon as you can, because it was your inspiration.

Beautiful Loser

It's hard not to force that line/scene onto paper (and into the story) as soon as you can, because it was your inspiration.

I don't know that by including that idea/scene/line is necessarily considered a force, but I do understand what you mean by putting that idea/scene/line into the story ASAP. I think that's it's imperative in maintaining the momentum, that you do just that -- immediately place the idea/scene/line into the story. If you don't, you're bound to lose your [original]train of thought, and it's back to ground zero, or worse: sometimes you lose the idea entirely due to memory loss.

Anthony Ravenscroft

BL -- FWIW, this is exactly the sort of stuff that reminds me why I'm glad you're on this site. Seriously. We've got our differences but... well, anyway, cool.

Beautiful Loser

Does this sound familiar?

Whenever I'm deep into a story, I walk around and mutter to myself. I drift off in the middle of a conversation or grab a pen and paper to jot down an amazing sentence or phrase that popped into my head. When you behave that way, people think you're crazy. From time to time my husband and children do wonder ... But they love me and are my biggest fans, and if I'm slightly wacko, they accept me anyway.

Steven Labri

"sometimes you lose the idea entirely due to memory loss"

There are times when I wish I could do just that. Once I have a scene, a line, a story in my head, it plays and plays and plays until I can get it on paper. It's insane, I know - but it is true.

"Does this sound familiar?"

BL - You hit that on the head.

Beautiful Loser

Steve, you're absolutely correct. It does drive me crazy when I can't get the damn idea out of my head and onto paper/computer, etc. Thank goodness, however, I'm one who is usually very patient, and in due time, the idea is finally plucked and placed into a coherent story.