HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ayo Akinfe

Ending your book

I was speaking to an agent last week, who told me that one of his main problems was that many writers did not know how to end a book. I spoke to him before I had finished and he said he wanted everything complete first because experience had taught him that people made a mess of things towards the end.

I asked him why and he said: "Most people can write 20,000 words easily. Most intelligent people can write 40,000 words easily but go beyond that and they struggle."

After our chat, I decided to pay a lot of attention to my end. This is how I concluded matters:

Sitting quietly in an innocuous seat, Governor Tom-George wondered what might have been as he watched and listened to Governor Ahmadu Na’adama accepting the party nomination. Waving to an ecstatic crowd as he himself had done a few weeks ago, Governor Na’adama was rallying the faithful, trying to give the people hope and promising a better future. Nigeria certainly needed that and as Governor Kurobor came on to the stage and raised hands with his Katsina State counterpart, Governor Tom-George managed to bring himself to applaud them, hoping the Na’adama/Korubor ticket has more luck than the now defunct Tom-George/Kangiwa one.

mar quesa

Re: Ending your book

I see what you mean... innocuous seat?

Jonathon Swift

Ayo that is a bloody awful ending.

And why should a seat be innocuous?

Apart from the fact that we know absolutely nothing about the story, the plot and the point of your novel I would have to say that any work that ends with such a - words fail me - politically correct is probably the worst I can throw at you - ending - would probablly be unreadable.

Jonathon Swift

Basically you should end the book at a point where the story is finished and no more needs to be said.

I have to agree that this is not an easy thing to do.

nom de plume

This ending does sound like political correctness. I assume Tom-George is the protagonist. If so, let us know what's going through his mind when he listens to the typical campaign BS. Is he sad? Angry? Does he feel screwed? That would be more interesting than painting a campaign scene that we see all too often on TV.

It's hard to offer suggestions without knowing anything else about the book.

gulliver h

Ayo--what gives?

Are you just winding people up as best you can? Well, it seems to be working.

Greg Kosson

I always wonder just what inspires people like Ayo. They never tell us, but they may not know themselves.

Smiling Curmudgeon

Ayo,

How can we comment intelligently on your ending when we have not seen the third paragraph of page 102 of your ms.?

My point is, you're flailing. Step back. Take a few days off. Find a writing group. Learn to write before worrying about bits and pieces.

cur

Ayo Akinfe

Smiling Curmudgeon, I would suggest you take your own advice.

C Bets

Aybars, is that you.