HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Barnabus Jones

Re: Amazing Critique and Guidelines

I find that I write a lot of interior monologue during first draft, but during rewrites I delete about 90 percent of it. I write it the first time for me, so I know what the character is thinking. Then, if the passage is written well, I can take it out because I've conveyed the characters thoughts through action, or dialog. A lot of interior monologue is also insulting to the reader, I've found. If the character is well-developed, the reader will know what she is thinking without having to be told.

If you've got a lot of interior monologue I highly recommended excising it everywhere you can and re-reading to see if you really even needed it.

Savannah Thorne

Too much will slow the narrative and make the novel boring to a reader. Plus, these things CAN be shown instead of told. There's a new change to get rid of the interior monologue that used to be acceptible only 5-10 years ago.

Cathy C

That's one of the things I meant when I said they're wrong for my genre. Romance still uses a number of these conventions, as does urban fantasy. I don't intend to change my style until my editor tells me to, or readers complain.

Patrick Edwards

Barnabus Jones, I love the name!

Anthony Ravenscroft

If I find myself getting sucked toward a whole lot of internal rumination, then I look at it as a first-person sort of thing. It's far easier to sketch a drama-queen narrator with self-talk than to watch some omniscient godling prancing around the stage & probably stating the Really Bloody Obvious as though the writer thinks I'm retarded.