HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Rogue Mutt

Re: Prospective Query v2

I'm not sure what Zeff is talking about either. I appreciate the help so far.

Harper

I don't think anyone has forgotten what he is trying to do here. I think it's a really good idea and that doing it this way is furthering the story development greatly. More like writing a treatment than a query letter in a way. I can't see that anyone is losing sight of that. Maybe more of us should start this way.

Joe Zeff

I was referring to the unspecified freak accident. I'd be very surprised to learn that RM knew at this point just what that was, and saw the mention as a "place holder." Yes, if the book were finished it would be better to say just what the accident was, but this isn't exactly a normal query.

Rogue, your mention of "the war in Japan" makes me think it takes place just after WW II. Right? If so, a lot of the other details start to fall into place because there were still a lot of small towns with one wealthy family controlling everything; much more than you see today. Just remember that this is pre-civil rights and segregation was
    alive and kicking if that becomes important. Also, it was accepted that even if a woman did the same work as a man she'd get paid less.

I'm not sure I'd want to read your book, but that's just because it's not the type of book I'm usually interested in. I think the basic idea is good, and it looks like you're getting a good handle on it. Best of luck with it, and I'm looking forward to the day you'll be honing the query to send out.

Simon Says

I don't know rogue, it sounds to me like you've crafted the details of your backstory and your set-up but the actual story is what happens after the dinner invite and proposal - at which point your description becomes vague and obtuse.

If the meat of your story is about the "normal life" Theresa must face the truth about - and that sounds like the most interesting part (freak-shack-destroying accident aside) then that's what you should be fleshing out here.

Best,

Simon