HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    June Casagrande

A Very Query Challenge

Inspired by the 100-word stuff, I had another idea for a group participation writing thang -- this one having to do with queries.

Seems to me there are two distinct challenges in writing queries. 1. Condensing a long work down to a short spiel with a lot of "sell"; and 2. Condensing ONE'S OWN WORK down to a short spiel with a lot of "sell."

So, to polish the skill set in a way that lets writers see the forest for the trees, I figure we could, on a regular basis, post our attempts at queries for KNOWN, PUBLISHED, FAMOUS works.

Every week or month or day or whatever, someone can suggest two famous books (or even movies, I suppose) that could be the Query Challenge of the Week (Day, whatever). Then others can read, critique, compare. Query writers will be able to see different approaches -- including the ones they never considered.

These are loose rules, obviously. Suggest as many as you want. Write as many as you want. Ignore me like the girl at the party who sits in the corner wearing a David Cassidy T-shirt nursing a Zima and soda and pulling her underwear out of her crack. Do what you like. But if this sounds helpful to you, see the next post.

Nick Dobbie

Re: A Very Query Challenge

Brilliant.

Patrick Edwards

What color did you say her underwear was?

June Casagrande

Waist-high white cotton with David Cassidy-a-dots.

Patrick Edwards

ooohhhh....