HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A. L. Gerard

Need help with some research please

I need some help with a project I知 working on about the British experience in the First World War and I知 hoping somebody (probably from the UK)can help. I知 trying to find out two things:

1.In WWI, was there a minimum age requirement for entry-level commissioned officers in the British Army? Meaning, could a nineteen- or twenty-year-old be commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, or did they have to be a certain age, like twenty-one or older? I am specifically interested in the public school types who were able to 澱uy rapid commissions without having to go through all the months of cadet training like the 途egular guys.

2.Does the title 渡ursing sister denote a specific level of training? Are all professional nurses called 都ister, or only the older ones with lots of experience? I致e never quite understood that, no matter how many times I've read "Testament of Youth"!

Thanks for any info anyone out there can provide.

Joe Zeff

Re: Need help with some research please

As an indirect answer to your first question, I think the British had dropped the practice of buying commissions by that time.

Also, if it helps, there was so much trouble with soldiers from one part of the country understanding the accents of officers from other parts that all junior officers were taught a standard accent that everybody could follow. "BBC British" was eventually based on it.

Steven L'Abri

"there was so much trouble with soldiers from one part of the country understanding the accents of officers from other parts that all junior officers were taught a standard accent that everybody could follow. "

Now there's a great trivia question....

Verdancy

Joe's right--the purchase of commissions ended in 1871. Here's a link: http://www.cwreenactors.com/~crimean/purchsys.htm

Here's a page that discusses the training of British officers for WWI: http://www.1914-1918.net/training_officershtm.htm

Wendy George

I don't know how useful this is, but having lived in the UK for ten years and having some experience with the health care system, I observed that the nurses addressed as "Sister" were usually in charge of a particular unit, the way American "Charge Nurses" are. They supervised the less experienced nurses and gave reports to the doctors. Doctors, on the other hand, have an altogether different series of titles. Junior and Senior House Officers, Registrars and Consultants, and some even get to be called "Mister" which is the equivalent of "Your Worship," at least that's how it sounded to me. However, I can't say whether this system was the same during WWI. It seems likely. Things change but slowly in the UK.