HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Darcy Andries

A discussion about Grammar Checkers

Okay, I know that several threads have been started about this issue (or rather specific grammar checkers) and I remember seeing something on the Internet about it. I decided to dig and found this article that talks about the effectiveness of grammar checkers

http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/grammar/gramchek.htm

Of course, it doesn't evaluate some of the programs we have been talking about. But this article does talk about grammatica for Mac (which I have heard is hands down the best program available or at least it was, but only for the Mac).

http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/euro96b.htm

I figured that should provide people with some overall information. I would love to one day develop a test for all the grammar checkers and see how well they really do.

Darcy

Mike Morey

Re: A discussion about Grammar Checkers

I don't know if one is better than the other, but I have the grammar check in Word turned off while I'm writing. Way down in the editing process, I'll turn it on and give it a check, mostly to locate extra spaces, and the odd typo, such as "the" instead of "they", which it will flag if the sentence no longer makes sense. The only other useful thing it flags are the "passive voice" sentences, which I might then revise. Otherwise, for fiction especially, it is basically useless. Best to simply learn the rules, and let the computers do what they do best: take orders, rather than give them.

Cheers,

Mike

Weed Eater

Re: A discussion about Grammar Checkers

You don't need no grammar checker.

I spoke to an author that was so into the grammatical structure of his prose that he boiled it down to the letter, examining just how everything fit into the rules of language and making adjustments and then tweaks to get the desired effect out of his writing. Very successful author both financially and critically.

I don't think most, if any, authors have to take it quite that far, but I do see the relevance of having a working knowledge of grammar if you want to be a good writer. After all, this is your craft, is it not? So be a craftsman. Learn the rules. Bend and break them. But understand what you are doing and the effect it will have on your work.

And stuff.