HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Prince Louis Richard de la Pau

Re: The Dreaded Comma...

Sorry, I had to break off before I managed to complete my thought.

leslee is very honest, forthright and direct in her dealings. But if we want to be writers, we've got to be ready to deal with agents, publishers, etc who are going to be much less forgiving. We really should regard it as being nasty or claw-sharpening or anything else.

Sorry to be so blunt. I understand completely how you're feeling: google isn't my friend, either. But I'm forced to use it, despite my dreadful skills at searching on it.

So, once again, good luck.

Louis Richard

Nikki Massie

I am re-typing this post b/c it got lost in the vortex...

Regarding "which": I find that 99.9% of which's can be replaced with that, eliminating the need for a comma. Furhter, I find that 99.9% of non-demonstrative that's can be omitted altogether without messing up the flow of the sentence.

Sarah Fluharty

You think Leslee is bad, wait till you start sending out query letters. I know the world would be a grand place if everyone were super nice to us all the time, but you have to be tougher if you want to be a writer.

Jeanne Gassman

Now, Louis, don't condemn commas! "Commas are your friends."

Jeanne

Joy Riches

Sarah, I've already had an agent, met plenty of editors in person. I KNOW how harsh the publishing world is. I only beg the question: Why so bitter?

SOME writers here act as if it's absolutely impossible to skip over fonts. If my questions are stupid, if you think I'm a troll, skip to your loo - land in another post. And the worst part? SOME writers never concede that you fully understand what they're saying, that you're just airing an opinion, or trying to refresh your knowledge. They're like drooling vultures ready to pounce on fresh meat.

Remember, there is a BIG difference between honest criticism and harsh critique. For the last &^%$ time, I KNOW google is my friend. Sheesh!

*I'm not breathing fire - just venting.*
    Ta, ta...for now. :-)

Joy Riches

Sarah, I've already had an agent, met plenty of editors in person. I KNOW how harsh the publishing world is. I only beg the question: Why so bitter?

SOME writers here act as if it's absolutely impossible to skip over fonts. If my questions are stupid, if you think I'm a troll, skip to your loo - land in another post. And the worst part? SOME writers never concede that you fully understand what they're saying, that you're just airing an opinion, or trying to refresh your knowledge. They're like drooling vultures ready to pounce on fresh meat.

Remember, there is a BIG difference between honest criticism and harsh critique. For the last &^%$ time, I KNOW google is my friend. Sheesh!

*I'm not breathing fire - just venting.*
    Ta, ta...for now. :-)

leslee

I couldn't care less what you think of me.

There is nothing in my posts to you that comes close to your bad-tempered, bitter venom. If you don't get what you want, you turn sour and start calling names. Drooling vultures, indeed.

Your question wasn't stupid, and my response wasn't nasty. Just my honest opinion, feel free to ignore. But you don't come here for honest responses, do you? You want your little head patted, and waaah waah, waah when you don't get it.

Anthony Ravenscroft

And it's driving me up the wall with martini glass in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. Not easy. Especially not in these shoes.

Serenity: will you hurry up & get published? And/or start doing the talk-show circuit in the States. That aphorism (those?) is worthy of The New Yorker, & I want to see you lionised as "Dorothy Parker reborn."

(Well, unless you really want to try on Capote's shoes....)

Prince Louis Richard de la Pau

Hi Anthony,

From your lips to God's ears, my dear!

And I'll go for the Dorothy Parker image. Truman Capote was just a little - how can I put it delicately? - camp.

Louis Richard