HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Richard .

"dweeb" means a "studious person"

That's right. You Americans have given the word its negative conotation because you are anti-intellectual and hate "sudious persons". You owe me a HUGE apology but I know better than to expect one, except from Prince Louis. Anthony, thank you for your non-judgmental words.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Re: "dweeb" means a "studious person"

Good heavens, man -- did it take you this long to figure out how to use a dictionary...?

(Sorry, sir, I try to be even-handed, but I'm still a stand-up comic at heart!)

Richard, what a word "really means" is immaterial. This is most obvious in face-to-face spoken communication, where I can state something that is entirely harmless, or even laudatory, but do it with a kinesic context -- posture, body language, facial expression, nasty tone of voice -- that'll make you want to punch my lights out.

It's context. If I say, "You smell like butter!" & then laugh heartily, you'll just think I'm a wackydoo.

In Japan, that one could get you killed.

Hereabouts, you might've been better with "pedants" -- it'd only rile those who think it has something to do with dirty old men faunching after little boys.

(I rather enjoy, most moments, my own pedantry.)

Verdancy

I missed the earlier discussion, but I do love dictionaries. The Oxford English Dictionary defines "dweeb" as North American slang, meaning "A person held in contempt, esp. one ridiculed as studious, puny, or unfashionable; a fool."

Now, "sudious"--that one I can't find at all.

Richard .

That's an American dictionary. Oxford's is the one upon which to rely.

R. Radish

...not to mention "niggardly..."

<this space intentionally left blank--boo>

Bertram Hatfield

Re: ...not to mention "niggardly..."

Hey Richard

Sure the OED is the one to rely on if one is dealing with British or Standard English.

It's relevance (and I only own the latest 2 volume version) is questionable when the subject is American english which began to diverge from British english over 5 centuries ago - at which time there was no standardised spelling in the UK or the USA

Bert

PS If you are arguing about spelling on this site watch you fingers and check you post before hitting the Post button.

PPS Duh

Bertram Hatfield

A peron who is boringly conventional, puny or studious.

Richard, dude, quote the whole definition.

Bert

and watch you fingers when you respond,,,

Verdancy

That's an American dictionary. Oxford's is the one upon which to rely.

Uh, that was Oxford's. The OED is not American, but they do define American words like "dweeb."

leslee

Now look up pathetic. You photo is next to it.

Simon Says

Based on the context of Richard's post inwhich the word in question was used -

"I posted this at WN's Writers Craft forum and those dweebs couldn't think of one little word -- they didn't even have a suggestion."

I'd bet dollars for donuts that he had no idea of the Oxford definition - and was using it in the common slang way that the word is used today - i.e. he was using it in a derogatory manner.

Only the truly pathetic would pull out the literal definition as a defense/explantation for this petulant outburst. And only a true egomaniac would demand an apology in this situation as opposed to offering one.

It's appears that believes that the people on this board don't have the ability to reason and think for themselves. He definitely believes he has the upper hand when it comes to intelligence. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!