+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Happy Soybean

"a part of" vs. "part of"

Hi, grammar friends! Which is correct:

"I like being part of this organization...."

or

"I like being a part of this organization..."

(sample sentence only; don't fry me for it)

C Bets

Re: "a part of" vs. "part of"

Wow - good question!

Michelle Burtin

IMHO, what comes to mind is "part of". But I'd say there's a slight difference between the two. "Part of" means I'm a member of this organization. Just a member, like the rest. "A part of" would give it more importance. It would imply that I have a more active role and play a significant part in it.

But that's just how I feel it, and please, don't take my word as gospel truth. I'd be interested to know what the others say.

Michelle

Richard Clunan

i think 'a part of' sounds better in that context. 'a part of' sounds like the part has some autonomy outside of the context of the organisation, whereas something that is 'part of' something sounds like it only exists as a section of that thing and is useless outside that context - the wing on a car would be part of the car, and not of much use on its own, whereas you have interests and abilities other than within the organisation

Anthony Ravenscroft

Either is fine because that's how the quoted character speaks. If the character doesn't use perfect grammar, then it's unlikely they'll speak that way unless there's some particular contextual purpose & it thus forms an informational back-channel for the reader.

CD DyVanc

"a part of" sounds better to me. however, I agree with Anthony on this. it just depends on the way your character talks. not everyone uses perfect grammar in their speech or writing. that just makes the character all the more unique.

DyVanc

Anthony Ravenscroft

For example, friends tell me that when I get "exercised" about something, I get either really terse, or verbose with frighteningly precise grammar. (Doesn't matter whether I'm happy or angry. It's all about the power of storytelling & the music of language.)