HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Shannon Clark

Your typical day?

What does your typical day look like? (if you are writing full-time or even part-time). Do you devote certain specified hours to writing and others to other things?

Just wondering how everyone works this.

Sarah Fluharty

Re: Your typical day?

I write whenever I find time. I have two small kids so that is usually around nap time. I get a few good hours in there, and if I still have energy left I will write some at night when they go to sleep. My schedule doesn't allow me to set specific times, but I usually find myself wanting to write even when I'm doing other things.

FYI, I write.. but am not a "writer". That is, nobody pays me, but I write because I feel compelled to. I rush at everything I do so I can get back to writing!

Grimus from McChirples

Grimus write and work on projects full time for several year now. It is great deal fun for Grimus. At first though I work all the time, seven days per week, ten hours at least per day, clawing to get on lowest rung of ladder name "success".

Now I am at point where I work five hours per day, six day per week. I usual wake late, watch TV, have brunch. Then Grimus spend most of day hang out and relax and deal with business side of stuff. Then after dinner, wine, and more relax, Grimus begin five hour work block. Then gym, then bed.

Joe Zeff

Sarah, you don't have to be published to be a writer. A writer is somebody who writes.

Janice wee

Between housework, my kids and my internet marketing work (unrelated to my books), I squeeze as much time as I can to write/polish my novels.

I am too aware that the chances of my earning enough money to feed my family through writing fiction are really slim, so my income comes from internet marketing which also pays for the costs of my writing.

Rob Knowles

Hi Shannon

I get pen to paper everywhere and anywhere I can. I took a two year break from work (unintentional, I might add) to write full-time, but that really didn't work too well. Problem is, writers need time to replenish the creative font. If you spend all your time holed up somewhere trying to get all your best ideas on the page, you tend to exhaust your energies rather quickly.

The best way to write is anywhere and any time. Whenever you have a spare minute, wherever you are (in the taxi, at the airport, at lunch in a cafe, in a bar etcetera). Try and pick places where you will be stimulated, rather than blank rooms with magnolia paint finish. Try music that inspires you in the background (some people find music a distraction, but I love it).

But, even if you work full-time on your writing, you still need to get out and experience life. Otherwise you're going to find it difficult to express your ideas or put them into a ralistic context.

As for the other replies you've received, I agree with Joe when he admonished Sarah. We are all writers, whether we get paid for our work or not. And, as for Grimus... Perhaps he needs to go to Gym after he's eaten, but human stomachs don't usually handle late night exercise too well.

Bottom line, write whenever the mood takes you and, when it doesn't, write then as well.

Rob

Savannah Thorne

Me too. I take a pen and paper with me and jot things. My eventual "dream" is to have the kind of antique cabinet that has many drawers, and sort all the scraps into the drawers, but right now I just have some files and some baskets and some notebooks. It's a mess.

Right now I am taking a break from writing because I am too busy chewing my nails waiting for a response to my agent and it's wracking my creative nerves, but I still take time every day to read good stuff and to think about writing.

I also think that in any job that entails a lot of sitting down and mental work, it is important to take physcial breaks--ie. work out, take a walk, run, play, ski, whatever. It clears the mind. Like Rob K. said above, get out and experience life. I love to travel (not that my budget allows much of it) and to research and to read. To do othrewise stymies the imagination and makes ideas run dry.

Joe Zeff

When I'm writing and I'm not sure what to do next, I generally go out for a walk. I think about what's going on, where I'm going and what might happen. By the time I'm done, I almost always have some new ideas.