HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car problems

Angel Kemory

Car problems

Okay, I have this image in my head of a small, sporty car that Sydney is driving. It's a convertible and it has to be considered a head-turner in the year 1977. My son insists the car should be a 1969 Camaro RS/SS.

Sydney has to look like he 'fits' this car because he is only 4'11" in the scene.

Any suggestions?

Jo

Joe Zeff

Re: Car problems

A Jaguar is always classy. I don't know if there was a convertable Carmin Ghia, but if so, it'd work quite well. Think in terms of low, slinky sports car and you've probably got it Just Right.

gulliver h

There was a Karman Ghia convertible. I coveted it. It was also very good for potting plants.

I think the year of the story will go far in dictating whether or not boys will think its hot and what car, exactly.

A corvette is usually hot with teenage boys.

Angel Kemory

Well, that was my first insinct (the Corvette). My son still isists the 69 Camaro is the way to go.

It's Jenny's car, by the way, and she is letting him drive it.

Jo

Annie Meier

Fiat, maybe? Small, cute and sporty. I know Fiat made convertibles. Karmen Ghia is a good choice. I never knew any young women who owned a Vette back then ... or a Camaro. Muscle cars. The fact that your son thinks Camaro is the way to go, should be a clue. For him, sure. For a young woman, probably not.
    GTO, Corvette and Camaro ... all "guy" cars.

All the best,
    Annie

Angel Kemory

Car Problem Solved?

Jenny Woods is a hip young woman who landed her job as a teen therapist just days after graduating from college. All the teens are crazy about her because she wears mini-skirts and listens to the same rock music they do AND she drives a bad-ass car.

So how about--

Her dad gave her a 69 Camaro Convertible while she was in college. She kept the car because of the attention she got from GUYS.

Does that sound believable? I know Sydney is like the rest of the guys at the institution, they all want Jenny's car, so it would HAVE to be a car that appealed to guys.

Yeah or nay?

Jo

gulliver h

Re: Car Problem Solved?

67 or 69 Mustang convertible. 66 was a more girly year, still pretty and feminine. After that they got very muscular. Everyone, but everyone loves an old mustang.

Angel Kemory

Yikes! Can't make it a Mustang because Kipp has a Mustang. I am going to stick with the 69 Camaro. My son went to Walmart, bought a model of one, put it together, painted it red and gave it to me just a few minutes ago. He said it was Jenny's car and if I changed it, he would be pissed.

Jo

Lit. Gal

I agree with Annie. I can't imagine Jenny as you describe her driving a Camaro (even if Daddy gave it to her). I dropped a fellow for driving a Camaro in that time period. Next boyfriend had a porsche.

Jeanne Gassman

Jo,

What about a convertible T-bird? I remember a girl who had one in college, and all the boys wanted to drive it. But you might want to check the model design in 1977. Try shopping on ebay or one of the antique/classic car sites. You might get some good ideas there for the perfect car for your character.

Jeanne