HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A. L. Gerard

Research question

This is probably a really stupid question, and many of you will raise your eyebrows and say, "What a helpless idiot!" But I'll ask it anyway. Are there any websites that will help me determine the cost of houses in 1911? It seems like there'd be tons of sites with this kind of info, ( you know, the "What cost what, when?" kind of sites.) But everywhere I've clicked has been useless. Either they don't go as far back as 1911, or they provide costs of bread and milk and eggs, but not houses.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to actually go to a library (now THERE'S a concept!) and look up old newspaper classifieds on microfilm?

The One Formerly Known As

Re: Research question

Are there any websites that will help me determine the cost of houses in 1911?

First I would have to know the location and style of the houses in question before I could refer you to a proper source.

~Pete

A. L. Gerard

I'm just looking for the average cost of an average house in the midwest region of the U.S. in 1911. Thanks.

leslee

Not a stupid question at all.

Have you Googled the heck out of it? Have you checked allexperts.com to see if anyone there can help you?

I think the library trip would be fun, and you may get more information that way as well.

Kitty Foyle

I'm originally from a small town in the midwest. In the town is a "Local History Museum and Research Room" that supplies lots of info about the area. For instance, there is a list of deaths prior to 1907 or so. Certainly there should be housing information too. Or wouldn't you think?

Am sure you would be successful if you start by querying state or city government offices in the midwest.

Good luck,

^_^

Just Me

My dad gave me a booklet for Christmas that has bits and pieces about the year I was born. It includes house prices, average income, average rent... It's published by SeekPublishing (all one word) in Millersville, TN. Even if they don't have a booklet for 1911, they'd probably tell you where they got the house-price info.

Sarah H.

Try the registry of deed in your county, city or state.

Rachael E

If you can't find house prices, tackle it mathmatically. Find a price of an object back then, put it over x, find the ccost of the same item now, and put it over the house price you want. Then cross-multiply and solve....then do another and another and another. Walala, average them and you should get a pretty decent estimate....

Or you could just go googling.

Glen T. Brock

Hello folks,

Check the Sears&Roebuck catalog. I'm not kidding. During the 19th and early 20th centuries Sears sold a standard sized prefabricated house that could be shipped anywhere in the United States for construction. Many of those houses are still standing today. If I remember correctly the cost was less than $5,000.00 but don't trust my memory as it should be easily researched. There was a show recently on THE HISTORY CHANNEL about the Sears empire.

Glen T. Brock

Anthony Ravenscroft

Glen's correct.

But you do need to determine what area you're in. An explosive-growth small city would have commanded prices at or above a nice area of a larger city. And "Midwest" covers quite a lot of turf -- even this moment, a house outstate in a town of 1,500 might go for $35,000, where that same house in a major city would go for $250,000 or more.