HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Jack Pride

Fantasy Book Series

My current work in progress has many key characters. Thus far there are... seven key characters. There will be more. The current book is mainly about Jack. Jack is the central character, his book ties all the other characters together. I was planning on writing a book for each of the key characters that way the readers of the book can understand the story from each characters point of view. I was curious on any advice any of you may give to help make this process a little easier on me. Thus far the idea and weight of the project is not over-bearing. However, I know in the future it will be. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

JP

Kemory .

Re: Fantasy Book Series

JP,

I can tell you, from my own experience, that writing parallel books with a different POV is not as easy at it seems. I have two, and every time I make a change on one, I have to go to the other to make sure it gels. You have to pay attention to every detail. Also, you have to make each novel can stand on its own with its own plot and subplots.

Jo

Jack Pride

I already know that the project would get difficult. I am already getting set on working on the projects. Although I will complete the first book before I write the others. I know that I am capable of the different POV. However, I thank you for your input and it has been taken both to heart and mind.

JP

Kemory .

JP, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that writing different POVs would be hard. I was trying to say that when you write and edit, changes are often made so you need to make sure you change the other books along with it. Good luck, Jack and have fun with it!

Jo

Jack Pride

Thank you very much Jo. I wasn't aware of the changes that would need to be made to the other books. Thanks for the insight of the future.

JP

Reggie Gerrard

Make a simple text file and record there any instances where characters from different books interact. Put down the date/time of encounter, names of characters and brief description of the event (say, "fight", "pub crawl", "council" etc). Then it will be easier to work your timelines in a such way that events won't clash or disagree. As I see it, the most difficult work would be to keep the time continuity thing going through all the books - since your characters would have their own action sequences which will be sending them to various places with various tasks at various times.