HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rhyme in prose.

Aarin Edwards

Rhyme in prose.

Do you even find yourself unintentionally rhyming? Iím not sure if it ends up sounding clever or terrible. The passage in question:

ďHi, ****,Ē one greeted as she approached. A normal ruffian, she didnít know his name. He easily outweighed the hundred pound girl twice over, and towered above her five-foot frame.

ďHi, boys. Have you seen the gang?Ē

name, frame, gang. Did that catch your eye, or was it only because I called it out, or told you to expect it? I normally donít write lyrically. If I need to find different words I definitely will. Opinions on rhyming in prose, intentional or not?

P Brown

Re: Rhyme in prose.

It sounds more like a flow, not a rhyme.

If you get a flow that somehow gives metered section go with it. Sometimes it allows the reader to take a breath and remember what they read a little easier.

Just my opinions.

Aarin Edwards

I have the same questions about alliterations, even used sparingly. I mostly end up with what sounds correct when spoken, but to be professional-grade, I am always curious on what is literarily correct, which probably isnít always the best way to write, but hell, Iím open-minded.

P Brown

Question is, are you trying to write a term paper on theories of conventional writing or are you trying to include the idea that certain structures of words can be written in the context of poetry?

Without the nature of a reader's sense it's a bit hard to deny either unless you are writing professioanl grade articles.

If you are going for content substitution, pull out a thesaurus when in doubt. Your mind may be stuck on sounds and alternate views of speech during your writing.

Aarin Edwards

Good point. I'm hardly conventional in any other aspect of my work.

P Brown

BTW,
    As far as the literarily correct issue, as long as the reader is knowledgable about what was written, it's correct.

In the event you are looking to get specific editing problems out of the way, you would need to view proper methods of editing and scructure of paragraphs, sentences and timeline chronology.

Amy K

In my opinion the truest test is how the words sound to the ear when read aloud. You will find a great many stumbling blocks that way and you will discover the cadence of your writing.

Amy

Prince Louis Richard de la Pau

Amy is so right. If I'm not sure of the flow of a sentence, I'll read it aloud to check the flow. I didn't notice the rhyming, but it flowed beautifully, Aarin.

Just Me

I didn't notice the rhyming either. I think it only jars if the rhythm, as well as the rhyme, matches up (She didn't know his name. He loomed above her frame').

But, since we're in Writing Craft, you've got an antecedent problem:

A normal ruffian, she didnít know his name.

This means that she was a normal ruffian, not that he was.

Michelle Burtin

Aarin

Are you actually saying that you pronounce 'gang' like 'name' and 'frame'? No wonder I can't understand you Americans when I hear you speak!!!

Michelle