HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Denise .

Need to brainstorm about memoir

Ok, I am itching to write my memoir. Have been for some time. It is begging to be written, but I need your input. I have made notes over the last few months, and my original intention was to write four books, one from the viewpoint of my teenage self living in a dysfunctional home. The second about getting married young and that seven year chapter of my life. The third one about being a single parent and all the partying and marriages up until the present. The fourth, a book about my son's life.

However, I was thinking this morning that I wonder whether I should write it all as one book. Well, maybe I still have a seperate book about my son, but you know what i mean, a book about my whole life.

Which sounds more appealing to you as a reader?

C Bets

Re: Need to brainstorm about memoir

Well, as a memoir, my vote would be to do it in one book. But, I keep remembering how Angela's Ashes was actually one book at first and was turned into two (because of the length? I'm not sure). Are you going to keep it real, or fictionalize it?

Denise .

I need to keep it real. I can't do justice to it unless I tell the whole truth. I am going to change the names and write under a pseudonym. I am also thinking one book. Another factor is my age. I don't know if I have time to write 4 books!

C Bets

Good luck, hon. Be prepared to work a lot of hours on this if you're not going to spread it out (not that I want you to - I said one book).

Let me know what to look for at the book stores when it's done (if I'm still alive) !

C

Denise .

We both sound like we are about the kick the bucket, C!

I think one book too. It took me two years to write Maddy, but I started over several times because i didn't begin with an outline. I also quit for several months. I am thinking if I discipline myself, I could write this book in one year. Since it will be non fiction, I would think the words will flow easier than trying to create a story from scratch. But first I need to find that old thread from Literary Agents where I was talking about this before. There were some excellent resources and memoirs that were suggested to me to read. i need to do my research first. I don't know the first thing about writing a memoir.

I am excited. I was thinking about this when I checked my email this morning, trying to decide if I wanted to tackle this at all. Guess what the article that I clicked on in my email, in a writing newsletter I get was about? The issue of writing hurtful truths!

C Bets

Well, there you go! There are no accidents you know - must be meant to be.

Oh, and the "still alive" comment? You'll notice the smiley face - just another bit of humor. yea, yea, ha ha

Ann Casey

Definitly one. Not as intimidating as looking at a total of four projects. Ann

Denise .

I think I must have taken a big dose of delusion when I was thinking about writing 4 books. It liked to have killed me, writing ONE novel. Writing a memoir is going to be WAY more intense.

Denise .

I keep wrestling with this. You see, there were so many interesting and odd characters, tragic and compelling people and things that happened when I was growing up, I keep being drawn to write a book about only that.

If I start writing about my son and I tell the crazy way I grew up in the same book, it will feel like I am trying to absolve myself of guilt, as if to say, ok, I did a crappy job of raising him, but look how crappy I was raised too.

I can't get going until I decide whether to include my adult life, and thus, Clint's life and suicide. I don't know where to begin until I figure that out. See? I'm right back where I started.

C Bets

Well, I think you need to come up with a decision of whether it's going to be about you and your life, or Clint's suicide as the focal point. Of course, you can weave the two together, but I think that may be a daunting task unless you make his death the ending of your story. Then, perhaps, you could consider a sequel? Life with Clint and Life without him?