HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    C Bets

Re: Flattery, ego boosting sought!

Of course - he's right. I interpreted it differently. My mistake.

C

Denise .

"I figured it did have the element of autobio; most of your pieces do. But, I have to agree somewhat with Jon that just because it happened that way, doesn't mean it makes for exciting reading."

C, do you think my stories are boring? It sounds as if you do. Be honest, I can take it.

C Bets

No, no, not at all. All I was saying is ... oh brother... am I going to dig myself in here?

I love what you write - really. This was just more of a general statement. I know from experience that I can tell my reader something's believable all I want to cuz that's what really happened, but that doesn't necessarily make it interesting.

That didn't come out the way I wanted it to - please no offense. I think you're a wonderful writer, I really do.

*more squeezes*

C

C Bets

No, no, not at all. All I was saying is ... oh brother... am I going to dig myself in here?

I love what you write - really. This was just more of a general statement. I know from experience that I can tell my reader something's believable all I want to cuz that's what really happened, but that doesn't necessarily make it interesting.

That didn't come out the way I wanted it to - please no offense. I think you're a wonderful writer, I really do.

*more squeezes*

C

C Bets

See? I wanted to be sure you understood me so much that I double-posted!!!

Denise .

I remember when we had that conversation a few months back. Everybody kept telling you that the car wreck scene was not realistic, and you kept saying, "but that's how it was!"

I guess truth really is stranger than fiction!

Anyway, that's what I thought you were getting at, but I wanted to make sure. I can't think of a worse thing that boring my reader.

John Oberon

Well, the main thing I noticed was that the step daughter describes a horrible, rotten stepmother, but meets a sweet, wonderful woman for lunch. Not even one little needle does this supposedly sword-tongued woman offer.

I expected SOMEthing from this stepmother...maybe like, "Have you gained weight dear? You look puffy" as she kisses the air by her cheek. Then, "Oh, can we get a different table away from a window? You see how the sun has affected YOUR skin." I expected the long knives right off the bat, but nothing...nothing but a kind, old lady that appears to love her stepdaughter.

Maybe the stepdaughter suffers from false-memory syndrome?

C Bets

Boring? You? Surely, you can't be serious!

Denise .

John, or maybe the stepdaughter is trying to rewrite the past?

Thanks, C!

Denise .

The truth is, I really did this, but the stepmother in this story is nothing like mine, and I did confront her with some things she'd done, every one of them which she denied. After I got home, my sister called and cursed me out for upsetting her mother. It was all very ugly.