HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    John Oberon

Re: Flattery, ego boosting sought!

Hmmm...I could've SWORN home pregnancy tests came out a couple decades after Hemingway died, but...I guess you know better.

Weed Eater

They have home preggo tests today, the present, you know, the moment when I read the three lines.

It doesn't matter. I gave you example that fits your bill and of course, you being you, fail to admit when your point has been invalidated.

I'm sure you won't be able to help arguing even these points, but deep down, you were impacted by those six simple words. There's nothing extreme there, just normal life, stuff that happens every single day. No crazy characters, no extreme situations. Just a handful of words that forced an emotional reaction out of you when you read them. That's what flash fiction can do. That's why people write it. You can pretend all day that you don't get it (it's clear that you don't understand the components from your attempt at penning one), but your reaction to it says it all.

If you weren't affected by it, your fingers wouldn't be so ready to tap out the paragraphs, nor would you have to make your excuses as to why six words have impact.

C Bets

I got you, Weed. John missed the point.

John Oberon

Weed, that's the whole point of flash fiction...to elicit an emotional reaction, to press a button, just like TV. Do I like those six words? Yep. Do I think them pithy and witty? Yep. Do I think that's serious writing? Nope. Good grief, it was a response to question.

Listen, if you think flash fiction is serious writing and a great path to a career, start pumping it out, and more power to you. I hope you're successful.

Maybe you think I don't LIKE flash fiction. I do. It's fun and easy to read, when it's well written. But for the most part, I think it appeals mostly to writers who haven't the ability, the focus, or the discipline to write anything more.

John Oberon

By the way, Weed, by impact, did you mean the extreme dead baby meaning that all but the dullest of us would assume, or your heart rending negative pregnancy test spin, lol?

"Don't sell those shoes, honey! C'mere! Let's try again!"