HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    John Oberon

What Up with Flash Fiction?

What is it with this flash fiction stuff anyways? I mean, I've seen some that are OK, I guess...but what's the sense in it, besides piddling around or maybe priming your mind for some REAL writing?

There's no room for nuance or character development which forces either the characters or the situation or both to bloat to some kind of extreme so the story can make some kind of emotional impact. Just read ANY flash fiction, it's the same with all of them. I just wrote my first one in Denise's thread and chose to make the characters extreme. Nathan wrote one and made a character and the situation extreme. Roy A. writes a lot of it, never without some glaring vice or pathology. I suppose it's good practice if you're looking to write for TV, because that's that's the extent of TV. But if you're looking to write a book, that type of writing just kills. What on earth is the attraction? Is it just the satisfaction of FINISHING something?

Denise .

Re: What Up with Flash Fiction?

Personally, I have very selfish reasons. I am doing it for quick and easy publishing credits. It's all the rage of online e-zines. I ain't gettin' any younger, and I like it that I have two flash fiction pieces and three poems that have been accepted online in only one month. And it's not for glory or money, it's to make my portfolio fatter and my query for novels more impressive.

John Oberon

You think your writing posted on an e-zine means you're published? Hmmm. I guess I have more stringent standards.

Well, that's certainly a reason for flash fiction I hadn't thought of.

Denise .

John, I have plenty of submissions out to print publications, too, and do have two poems in print. But yes, having something published online, though not as impressive, is still highly preferable to having nothing at all.

John Oberon

I suppose so...you're probably right.

Here's what has to happen in order for me to consider myself published: A well-known publisher or magazine, like Randomhouse or Time, pays me money to produce a tangible product with my writing in it. They do not publish me for free, nor do they pay me in subscriptions or authors copies or anything else besides money, and in an amount that most any other professional author would garner. When that happens, then I'll call myself a published author.

How old are you, Denise? You've mentioned your age several times, but you don't strike me as being that old.

Denise .

I only started writing seriously two years ago.

And, John, of course what you described is what we all aspire to. You explain it like people don't understand. Don't be condescending, it makes you look mean.

Weed Eater

Are we talking about flash fiction?

"It's a trap!"

Denise .

lol.

John, is Weedeater right? Are you setting us up for another discussion of your universal truth?

John Oberon

Condescending? I talked about my standards for considering myself published. I didn't put your standards down or anything, I only told you mine. Everyone has different ideas on what they think "published" means. Mine are precise.

50? Good grief, you're in your prime! I think of...hmmm...70 - that's the very beginning of old. 80 is old. Unless you've riddled and rattled yourself with a hard life, you're YOUNG, baby! Well, maybe not young, but CERTAINLY not OLD. Geezo, barring disease or accidents, you've got SCADS of time.

However, if it spurs you to write...does straddling the side of that coffin like that make your underwear creep up?

John Oberon

Nah...given up on that. Them that likes the fog is welcome to it, lol. But I reserve the right to inject my philosophy here and there, when needed.