HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wayne L

Prologue page numbering

Has anyone found a reliable reference to answer the numbering question for a prologue. Is the prologue part of the manuscript sequence or a separate set using something like i and ii. Most references I have found speak of "front pages" but with no specific guidance for a prologue. I did a search on this site but did not find a previous thread that might have dealt with this question. Thanks in advance. Wayne

clark reese

Re: Prologue page numbering

I've seen books with it, but it still just has #, 1,2,3 then it goes onto the 1st chapter. I find it amusing that u dont know.

Ian Goodall

Oi, lay off him Clark. I am serious. You come to this forum with your bad writing and constantly advertise your stupid website, and we put up with it. This is a place of learning, we DON'T mock people because they have questions. If you are going to do this, then I hope you are banned from the forum. There is no reason to be an arsehole on this forum. It is here to help people, not patronize them.

Wayne, sorry about this brat dude, no one else is like this. Your question is good. I think pages are just numbered as usual for a prolouge. Non-Fiction books with intoductions use roman numerals.

M. Lee

Prologue is numbered as part of the ms, Wayne.

Wayne L

M Lee - Thanks for the info. I've looked at, among others, WD's Guide to Manuscript Formats, WM's Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript, Camenson's Your Novel ProposalWD's Complete Handbook of Novel Writing and The Chicago Manual of Style and several other references. I have not found any clear statement regarding this question. Also I have checked several books at Barnes and found it done in several different ways. I asked my agent and he says not to worry about it as the editors will decide. Is there a specific reference that you can point me to? Thanks again. Wayne

Wayne L

Ian - Thanks for your comments as well. Perhaps Clark could share the title of his published works currently on the shelf at Barnes (or a public library,) and I can see how he did it. Wayne

Amy K

Clark,
    I have reconsidered my offer to help you.

Amy

M. Lee

Wayne -

No specific reference, Wayne, but it's always been included in the page count of any book I've read. Your agent is right; ultimately the editor will decide, but for the sake of submissions I would number it.

Michelle

Jackie Lynch

Clark, why do you find it amusing that Wayne doesn't know that? With out looking it up, do you know how to find the slope of an equation? No? Yes? Either way, if you asked for help, I would give it...as I offered in a previous thread, but you did not reply. The dumbest question is the one not asked.

Jackie Lynch

By the way, Wayne, number your prologue.