HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A J

Manuscript critique exchange?

Hi everyone,

I have a novel in the works, so far about 30,000 words, and i want the opinion of an unbiased reader. I was wondering if anyone would be interested? We could exchange manuscripts if you like and have a simple constructive critique.

My novel in the works is fiction, about a teenager in a private high school who finds out about a secret society that spawned off of the KKK. As he finds out about them, he must try and topple them before they make their biggest destructive move yet.

And just a sidenote - my work is copyrighted, since i've had a bad experience with this before.

So if anyone would be interested in a little exchange, all i'm looking for is a small opinion. If you're interested plesae reply back.

Have a good holiday!

Rachael Elg

Re: Manuscript critique exchange?

Hey, AJ,

I would be glad to beta read your novel.

It gives me a better reason to keep from editing my own story.

Rachael

Joe Zeff

AJ, your work is automatically copyrighted. Registration just makes it easier to proceed in a case of plagerism. Just wanted to point it out.

A J

Yeah i know its copyrighted automatically, but it still doesn't prevent from plagiarism and such. I just like to be careful with my writing =)

A J

Hi Rachael! I am actually a member on your forum! Im telling my friends about it, hopefully they start joining soon!

leslee

Nothing prevents writing theft. Nothing. A copyright is not a giant cosmic hand that slaps people who steal your work. All it does is provide a tool to your attorney if you wind up in a lawsuit. And on that level, it is valuable.

A J

Copyrighting

Exactly, but if i ever do go into court without an actual copyright, what am i going to tell the judge? "I wrote it so it's mine."

I did the poor man's copyright thing and with the library of congress, how effective is the poor man's copyright?

leslee

Re: Copyrighting

The "poor man's copyright" is a farce. It will not be effective at all.

You must copyright it officially if you want some kind of proof. It's only $30.

There are lots of opinions in previous threads in WN if you want to do a bit of research. Some people say don't bother to copyright. I feel that you should. It provides you with proof you won't otherwise have.

Robert Raven

Ahem . . . to clarify and reiterate what's been said many times before, you don't actually "copyright" anything. Under U.S. and European statutes, your work is copyright protected from the moment you produce it in a tangible form. What you can do, for additional clarity and protection, is register your copyright with the appropriate governmental office.

RR

Rachael Elg

That's what I meant to say...yeah, really, I did...