HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A J

Passive Voice, and a few other things

Hi all,

I was wondering, should i go through my MS and get rid of all of the passive voice? What are your takes on passive voice?

Also, do you think sentences like "Waking up, i walked to the..." are not as effective as "I woke up and i walked to the..."

One last one - How do you format a discusion where person 1 is talking and person 2 interupts him. For example:

"So i was putting the banana in a toaster-" I began, but the dragon interupted me.
    "Why would you put a banana in a toaster?"

I feel like that is the right way, but in word, after a dash i can't put a quotation facing the right way.

Thanks everyone!

Natalia

Re: Passive Voice, and a few other things

I don't use dashes to mark interruption. But maybe I am doing it wrong. I tend to use ellipses for those things.

As far as passive voice. I look at it this way...excess passive voive is not good. However, passive voice has its purpose and its place. I think writers hurt themselves when they indiscriminately slash through their MS because someone told them there is a "golden rule." Rules can be very dangerous. I would indeed look over the MS and see if you are prone to too much passive voice and change it where it makes sense to change it and leave it alone when it is called for.

Hope that helps,

-N

Joe Zeff

Let me give you two examples:

"The notice was put on the board by Jack," should be, "Jack put the notice on the board."

"The divorce papers were served on Friday." is fine, because it doesn't matter who served them; all that matters is that they were, in fact, served.

HTH, HAND.

Rachael Elg

I try to avoid passive voice, but sometimes it seems so wrong in active that I leave it in passive. Overall, my whole manuscript is 1% passive sentences.

Why WOULD you put a banana in a toaster anyway?

Rachael

M. Lee

I agree with Natalia, passive voice has its place as long as its not overused.

I use the dash when showing a dialogue interruption because that's the way I usually read it. You're right, though, Word doesn't allow you to place the quotation mark appropriately so I always put it in first and then backspace and add the dash!

A J

I dunno....for some reason i felt like saying that a dragon put a banana in a toaster. I wonder what would happen if i did put a banana in a toaster....hmmmm

Thanks for your help everyone! M. Lee, its strange that it does that, they should change it.

Rachael Elg

MS Word is strange, but I would not exchange it for any other program alive...ever...

That is clever...a dragon putting a banana into a toaster...but what world is your work set in? Ours or the dragon's. I love dragons (My favorite stores are the Excalibur shops in Las Vegas...)I never did think that one would be sticking one in a toaster....maybe he ran out of fuel to cook the banana himself? Toasted banana....yum...

Rachael

A J

Oh no haha my story isnt about dragons at all, and i dont recall having any bananas or toasters

I just used those sentences as examples

Rachael Elg

Ah, fine, spoil all my fun.

But I owe you a spark of inspiration. Sudden;y, thoughts fill my head of the story of a boy, his dragon, and his toaster.

Immediate best seller, right there, Yep.

Rachael

A J

It would make a reat television series like the phenomally hilarious Spongebob Squarepants....i wonder if this is how creators come up with their ideas? haha