HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WRITING GAME

Kris T

WRITING GAME

Hi!

Okay, I'm new, so maybe I shouldn't try starting a thread, but I've done this with a friend (as have many of you, probably) and think it's so much fun, as well as an interesting challenge.

Game: Multiple-writer story.

Rules: Each poster contributes a sentence. It has to be a complete sentence, though...no leaving us hanging midway with a "..." and forcing someone else to finish up for you. There is no sentence length limit; the only stipulation regarding a lengthy sentence would be that it should be grammatically correct (no cheating with a comma splice or misplaced semi-colon).

The challenge: trying to keep it a coherent, consistent storyline that includes both dialogue and narrative while also trying to maintain a fairly consistent tone and voice. Naturally, some people are more wordy than others, but there are ways to make that work.

Also: since this forum seems to not have an editing option, please don't worry if you typo (used here as a verb) - try (even if it's going to KILL you) to let it be so the story doesn't get lost in a bunch of edit posts.

I hope you'll be interested! I'll get it started:

When Sister Josephine caught me sitting in the chapel, she smiled at me for the first time; she must have thought I was praying.

Kathy Weston

Re: WRITING GAME

She smiled at me kindly, in what seemed like an all-knowing way and nodded her head in my direction as i looked up.

John Doerper

But that didn't stop her from putting a hand down my pants.

Kris T

I tried to figure out how she could have known that was where I put the letter I stole from her desk; she had to have followed me, or there had to be cameras, or something.

Kathy Weston

"What are you doing with this?" She asked calmly, still trying to obtain her sweet manor.

Ian Barker

"Still after that sweet manor then?" I said, "I've always fancied a house in the country myself."

Kathy Weston

"You shouldn't speak that way my sweet child, it's not polite."

Ian Barker

"Oh come on, you'd love to leave that draughty old convent for a nice centrally heated manor house."

Kathy Weston

She stared at me for a while and for one wild moment i thought she was going to hit me but after a slight pause she muttered, "shouldn't you be on your way home now, dear?"

Kris T

"Yes, I probably should," I said, and snatched the letter from her hand and ran, thinking, 'Thanks to all that talk of manors, she was distracted and loosened her grip!'