HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Amy K

Re: Please help -- serious WORD formatting problems

A,
    If you are comfortable emailing me your chapter, I will take a look at it tonight and repair the formating. I think it would be faster than me trying to explain how to do it.

It's up to you. Unless you have a virus, the formating issue can be fixed.

Amy

John Doerper

In a pinch, you can always change a chapter to plain *.txt format and then import it back into Word. That tends to take out of MSs nasty little hidden gremlins.

A Writer

Wow, Amy -- what a generous offer. Thank you!

It isn't just this one document, though. It happens suddenly, out of the blue, on anything I open and am working on. I'm beginning to think I have to reinstall Word or something!

If you think I'm wrong, please let me know. I have never taken the time to really learn Word (ages ago, I was seriously a WordStar expert!!), and now I'm paying for it.

And John, thank you for that bit of advice as well.

Amy K

A,
    I hate to tell you this, but if it happens on every document, you may have a virus on your computer. I do not think reinstalling Word will help until you remove the virus.

If you have virus protection on your computer make sure it is updated and then run it.

You can also go to www.microsoftoffice.com. There are resources there that may help you to troubleshoot your Word issues.

BTW - I remember the days of Wordstar very well!

Good luck,
    Amy

Rachael Elg

I know what it is like to Have MS word problems. If all this advice isn't helping you, and you do indeed have a virus or a flaw, then save your entire work and everything related to it on a disk immediately. Email it to yourself. Then try to fix your MS Word problem. Precautions never hurt.

My MS Word went nuts on me. I could not even TYPE on it. It would simply shut off on me. I reinstalled MS Word, no luck. I got stuck with Word Perfect. Horror of all HORRORS!!! That program is bad.

I ran my antivirus, but it detected nothing. What version is your MS Word? Mine was ME.

Rachael

A Writer

I am using Word 97.

My virus scan came up clean.

You know, my hubby thinks I'm crazy. I can SEE the "slightly bigger space" between paragraphs, and he can't. I fully admit to being obsessive about details sometimes, but this is driving me crazy!

I do always email my latest revisions/work to my hubby, and he saves them out on our network server. I always have hard copies on hand of my latest work, too.

I'm thinking I want to try a re-install of Word, but I'm afraid!

Anthony Ravenscroft

It sounds as though you've got Word set to force it into a default Style. Before I go any further with that thought, do you know how to edit Styles? What Style is the "problem area" of the text in?