HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A Writer

Please help -- serious WORD formatting problems

Arghphttzz!!!

I don't understand what Word is doing to me.

I am typing in a double-spaced, "normal" format. Out of the blue, and repeatedly, Word suddenly puts an extra space between my paragraphs!!!! I cannot override it. if I hit "backspace" it brings the current line of text up to the line before it. When I then hit "enter" it pops right back down to the WRONG place. Sometime's it's SEVERAL lines down! Yet when I check the line number at the bottom of the page, it is consecutive.

I am beyond frustrated! The stupid "help" paper clip doesn't know what I'm talking about. Any Word experts here?

M. Thompson

Re: Please help -- serious WORD formatting problems

AW -

I had the same problem. I'm not sure but I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I was hard spacing over and over, instead of using "Insert Break" where appropriate. I can't say for certain but once I went back to the end of each chapter and hit "Insert Page Break" my formatting problems disappeared. I didn't question it much, just got down on my knees and said "Thank you!" Try it - maybe it will help....

I taught myself how to use Word and didn't even know what the "Insert Page Break" was for!

Michelle

C Bets

AW:

This happened to me several times, too, and I had to go into Tools/Paragraphs/Indents and spacing and change it from double to single space again. It was like the program had a little mind of its own and decided to change it when I wasn't looking.

Try that.

C

Amy K

A,

Right click anywhere in the paragraph where you are having the problem.

Choose Paragraph.

A screen should come up that gives all of the spacing information for your document.

It sounds as if your document may have "Points" added to the spacing value between paragraphs.

Make sure that the "Before" spacing is 0 pt and the "After" spacing is 0 pt. If it says AUTO, change it to 0 pt and you will solve the problem...or you can check the box that says "do not add space between paragraphs of the same style".

Let me know if this solves the problem. Word has some automatic formatting features that are a tad pesky at times.

BTW - if this solves the problem, hit ctrl A (which will select all of your document) and apply the settings.

Good luck.

Amy

Amy K

Hi everyone,

If you continue to have these formatting issues with Word, you can tweak the AUTOFORMAT function.

1. Select FORMAT

2. Select AUTOFORMAT

3. Select OPTIONS

4. Customize your choices from this screen. Deselect "OTHER PARAGRAPH STYLES" and Word should leave your paragraphs alone.

However, Word can get a bit greedy and act like a know-it-all, so you have to be firm and show it who's boss!

Hope this helps.

Amy

A Writer

Thank you all. I'm dying over here!

Thank you, Amy. The settings are already at "0" and I can't find an option anywhere that says, "Do not add space between paragraphs of the same style." ????

OK, now I'm going to try your "tweaking" advice......

A Writer

GASP!!!

It worked!!!!

))))

Amy K

A,
    I'm glad to hear it! Formatting issues are the bane of my existence.

Happy Writing!

BTW-the "Do not add..." is directly beneath the spacing options. If your settings are at 0 then the selection is greyed out.

Joe Zeff

In the future, if you're having formatting problems, save your work. Then save it again under a different name. Only then start trying to fix what went wrong. That way, if things go from bad to worse and you can't figure out what you did, you can delete that copy, open your backup, save it under the original title and try, try again.

A Writer

Thank you, Jeff, that's excellent advice.

IT'S DOING IT AGAIN!!! Oh my freaking goodness; this is driving me to distraction. And this time it won't "fix" when I follow Amy's instructions.