HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    David M.

A snip here and a snip there...

Finished my first major edit of my manuscript this weekend. Managed to cut it down from 240,000 words to 162,000. Now I'm going over it again to see if I can reduce it even further. Hoping to trim it down to around 140k or less, although I fear cutting muscle and bone instead of fat.

It seems like most people are in the 100-120k range with their novels. Anyone else ever deal with this issue, or am I just some sort of unique rambling mutant?

Natalia

Re: A snip here and a snip there...

Congrats David.

I think you are within range.

Someone once told me...write as much or as little as you need to tell the story the way it should be told. And I do believe that's the way it should be done. But I guess there are other things to take into consideration, such as publishing standards, eh?

Either way, way to go on your editing and best of luck.

-N

David M.

Thanks Natalia. I guess right now I'm trying to figure out "how much do I need to tell the story?". It's almost as much work as writing the thing in the first place!

Nikki Massie

I admire you. I find editing my own work difficult. I usually employ trusted writer-friends to do the initial cuts. (Side note: Hate...red...felt...tip...pens!!!!!)

David M.

Update: now at 159,000 words. Woot!

*snip snip*

Gad, I hope I have this done by the end of the month. I've been watching everyone post their queries in the other section, and I'm chomping at the bit to get mine critiqued...