HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    leslee

Re: Feedback, criticism please :)

So write your inspiring, uplifting stories, John. And let the rest of us write what WE are inspired to write.

I hate to think of the vapid nature of literature without any sad, depressing or downtrodden tales.

C Bets

hear, hear, leslee.

I had a post directed at John shaking my finger at him for his pontificating attitude, but you said it much better than I did.

C

Jon Campbell

Author: John Oberon (---.64.129.162.nw.nuvox.net)
    Date: 07-27-05 11:25

"The best would show how love eradicates that thinking altogether and guides her on a more productive avenue of life."
    ---

Yes! I will give a small example of what John is telling us. My daughter came to live with me last August. She was a freak! Literally. She had thought similar thoughts as the "alone" character. She had doubts about her own self worth. There were times when she was alone in a crowded room. There were the constant doubts about reasons to continue the struggle.

But she evolved. She had the inner courage to rise above the wallow of self-pity and become someone different. She abandoned her peers who had negatively influenced her life. The road wasn't paved with golden brick, but mortar and sweat. It was her inner strength and conviction that helped her overcome all those doubts and succeed.

Today she on track to success and independence from the loneliness and depression that threatened to swallow her.

Her grades improved dramatically, she's lost significant weight by exercising, found a part-time job, and is making progress toward complete independence (from me...:-((( )

Now her story is something I'd find "powerful" because it was her unwillingness to "give up" and overcome that feeling of being "alone" that John refers.

Jon

Jon Campbell

Author: leslee (---.lsanca54.covad.net)
    Date: 07-27-05 11:30

So write your inspiring, uplifting stories, John. And let the rest of us write what WE are inspired to write.

I hate to think of the vapid nature of literature without any sad, depressing or downtrodden tales.

---

Anyone think of a Dickens classic???

Jon

Jackie Lynch

Holden Caulfield would have liked a friend.

leslee

But if he'd had one, it wouldn't have been Catcher in the Rye.

John Oberon

It isn't arrogance, Leslee, it's an observation. Why do you think it's "natural" for him to write something negative, but difficult for him to write something positive without it "sounding cheesy"? He's been pounded like the rest of us, day in and day out with images of hopelessness, despair, and viciousness until THAT'S what seems natural to write about. Love and goodness...why that's a rarity, almost a novelty nowadays. How quaint, those homespun virtues residing in a Pollyanna wearing rose-colored glasses. We CAN'T take THAT seriously in today's hardboiled world; it just isn't practical. The grim realities of life will soon shake that nonsense from your soul.

Well, just about anything looks ridiculous when dressed in a fluffy tutu, but that is not the garb of virtue. Virtue is iron-clad and battle-ready, reinforced with the howitzer of sacrifice, not the pop-gun of sex. And by golly...if I can convince just one person to write about some virtue instead of some weak rottenness...well, I just wish I could. Virtue doesn't sell. We all seem to harbor an insatiable fascination for train wrecks.

leslee

"Why do you think it's "natural" for him to write something negative, but difficult for him to write something positive without it "sounding cheesy"?"

I don't think it. You do.

I think he should write what he pleases and not be restricted in the choice of subject matter. This story may be part of the evolution of an excellent writer, you never know. He may write the "uplifting" story you crave at some later point, but that doesn't entitle anyone to tell him what he should write now.

Every story is valid. You don't have to like it. You don't have to find value in it. But you don't have the authority to tell any writer what type of story to write based on your idea of what pleases you. That kind of pre-emptive censorship has never improved literature.

John Oberon

Now see...Catcher in the Rye is a good example. Is it good writing? No doubt. But is it Good? Nope. Rotten. Would I want my children or ANY children to emulate Holden Caulfield? Nope. He's a directionless, nihilistic little twerp. But Salinger has enough genius to make that appear somehow appealing, especially to teens.

"So write your inspiring, uplifting stories, John."

Everyone hear the sarcasm dripping from Leslee's statement? Case and point.

Jackie Lynch

THat's my point. Right what you want and smile while your doing it!!!!!