HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A.E. Force

What's This Called?

I can't figure out what the following is called.

Say a character in your story has the nickname "Happy" but he always goes around with a sour look on his face. It's why he (teasingly) got the nickname in the first place. Isn't there a term for that?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Marc Vinicky

Re: What's This Called?

Irony?

Glen T. Brock

A.E.,

I would have thought it was a Malapropism, an absurd discrepancy of description. I'm not sure that is the definitive definition, although it is in the ballpark.

Glen T. Brock

Denise .

oxymoron?

John Oberon

A malapropism is using a word that somewhat sounds like the one intended, but ludicrous in the context. For example, I remember a comedian who did a sketch filled with malapropisms. In one scene he was in a clinch with a young lady when his friend barged in. He said, "Don't extrude, Charlie! Can't you see I'm trying to make some time?" He meant "intrude", but used the malapropism "extrude".

An oxymoron is an APPARENT contradiction in terms. In other words, at face value, the terms SEEM to contradict, but they don't really contradict in the context. I remember an old Indian poem that had the line "My gentle tribe fierce, in whom my heart makes home." On paper, "gentle" and "fierce" seem to contradict, but when applied to his tribe, they don't. His tribe is nature-loving and peaceful living - gentle - but when attacked, they rise as one man to annihilate - fierce. It is only an apparent contradiction that reveals a deeper truth.

Nicknames as you describe find their birth in sarcasm, then grow to become terms of endearment.

Eric George

Australian?