HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    KT Stephens

Question on Chapter Break?

I recently read a book that made the chapter break in the middle of the scene vs. between scene and sequel. Is that normal?

Mya Bell

Re: Question on Chapter Break?

A chapter break should be in a natural break in the book, but with enough of a teaser or question left hanging that the reader wants to continue reading.

If you sew a chapter up too tightly, there's no incentive to read on.

If you sew a chapter up too loosely, the reader loses interest.

If you break in the middle of a scene in a way that is jarring or annoying, then the chapter break becomes an affectation rather than an effective way to organize the story and will irritate instead of enticing the reader.

--- Mya Bell

Carrie Kabak

You can divide your MS up as you wish.....I have half-page chapters, for e.g.. But it if you break in the middle of a scene, it must be for a REASON.

Simon Says

I think it's most often used in thrillers as a suspense building device. I've also seen it used after a major twist is revealed, if the reveal happens in the middle of a scene.

KT Stephens

If the beginning of the book has a hook that leads the reader forward, can't the same thing be used at the end of the chapter to entice him on to the next one?

john folsom

Yes

Usman Ijaz

Rober Ludlum uses it quite a lot. I think it's just to build suspence.

Devin Jordan

It's absolutley to build suspense. Like Mya said, if you sew up the end of a chapter too tightly, the reader doesn't really feel like reading on. You have to leave it hanging just enough for the reader to wonder what happens next.