HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Four Strawberries

Bibliography question

Hi guys!

My novel is fiction, but I have used quotes from things that actually happened. For example, there was a big celebration. I quoted the speaker at the actual celebration.

My question is, how do I handle a bibliography for a fiction book? Am I supposed to use the basic MLA format that I used for research papers, or do I use another format?

Strawberries

Clarissa Anderson

Re: Bibliography question

Hi Strawberries,

I am not a hundred percent sure, however I would suggest at the end of your manuscript I would a list references and include the person's name and surname. A list of all sources used should be listed.

Clarissa

Bob Highland

Re: Bibliography question

I'm no expert on this subject, but I don't think it's a good idea to include footnotes and bibliographies unless the novel is expressly historical fiction involving real events. They detract from the fictive illusion, like an author's wink.

I believe that if the speaker made a speech at a function it is effectively on the public record and therefore able to be freely quoted, although it does need to be properly attributed to the speaker. It's OK to use a real person by name as a walk-on character in your novel, but if they're still alive you would need to make sure that you are scrupulously accurate in your representation of their words and deeds, and that nothing you write reflects badly on them, even if it's true.

As a resident of the most litigious nation on earth, I'm sure you don't need to be reminded of the possible consequences of getting it wrong!