HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Denise .

Re: Present vs Past Tense

RR, So when you say unreliable, those examples make me think you mean the narrator is giving you their version, which may or may not be the truth, or rather, their viewpoint is not objective. Am I right?

And while we are on this subject on third person present tense, I posted an excerpt of my novel, which is written that way, for critique. But all I've really gotten is an opinion that it would be better in first person. The ones of you who are here, I would very much appreciate it if you went to the thread called "An excerpt of Maddy w/Brittie in mind," and let me know what you think.

I posted another excerpt a few weeks ago, but that subject was never addressed by anyone. Now, it seems to be the only thing that is being addressed.

As I said in an earlier post here, this is my first novel, so I want to get it right. If I have to change it to first person or past tense, I will to make it marketable.

I really, really need your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Denise

Denise .

Oh, and A Way, would you let me know if you think it's literary? Or arty? I'm really curious, because third-present is exactly what you were talking about.

Robert Raven

Denise,

Yeah, that pretty well sums it up. It's a technique I like, and am currently playing with some. It opens up the door to a lot of irony, where the narrator says one thing overtly, but inadvertently reveals a great deal more.

Regards your past vs. present tense issue, it is entirely dependent on the context and content of the novel, and to a considerable degree on your personal preference. Meaning that it may be a question only you can answer. I agree with another earlier comment that present-tense writing seems to be found most frequently in "literary" novels, though I imagine there are exceptions. But it's very hard to judge in the absence of seeing the work itself. And even then, I'd bet you'd get conflicting feedback from readers, dependent on their personal preferences.

Trust your feelings, Luke.

RR