HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips and Tricks

Alphabet

Tips and Tricks

What are the really 'no one told me this, but I finally worked out that...' or 'Thank goodness someone finally told me that...' type tips and tricks?

Here's one I discovered for myself.

If I write in Microsoft Word I can get 'blank-page syndrome', and even if the page is full I can get 'next paragraph syndrome', but if I open up notepad I seem to be able to type happily because I know it is rough. Then, when I've got a fair chunk that has become 'better than rough' I just paste it into my word document and so on.

What have you learned that you are prepared to share? Can be about writing, editing, querying, printing, planning, etc, etc, etc, (reminiscent of The King and I, huh?)

Denise .

Re: Tips and Tricks

The most important thing I have learned is not to let more than a few days go by without doing at least some writing on my novel. People say, put it away for a while, but for me, that was almost the death of my novel, for awhile turned into three months, and getting back into it was very difficult. I won't let a week pass now without working on it some, probably more like every few days.

leslee

Carry a little notepad and pen at all times. Just a scrap of blank paper and pen tucked into your glove box in the car will do. Even when you think you absolutely won't need it. Because some great line or new idea may pop into your head. It happens to me all the time, and I can't remember without writing it down. Don't leave home without it!

Barbara Molin

I have file folders for my articles called: Ideas and Queries, First Draft, Second Draft, Third Draft, Ready to Submit, Submitted, Accepted and In Print. When I can't do any more to one manuscript, I put it away and pull out another one. There is always something I can do, even if it is checking the Submitted folder to see where all my babies are and if perhaps they don't need a nudge. So far I don't have a folder called: Due Now!

Gibby

I think a key is to be sloppier. It seems silly, but when you are a little sloppy, as in, writing on a napkin, writing on an envelope, writing in a notebook that is half-full of a fourth-graders love notes, and have stuff spilled on what you are working on, and draw pictures on it, and write in the margins and upside down with arrows . . . well, it frees you up a little. It doesn't look like your writing the 'next great novel' (even if you are) and it takes some of the pressure off.

Gibby

dang, it seems like there aren't that many tips and tricks out there, huh? I figured everyone would have come up with a little something. Maybe this business IS as tough as it seems.

Deek Hoi

I'm still taking notes from the ones above.
    Gibby--didn't you post something about being really reckless? Did that post disappear?
    I'll add that it's good to have food in your stomach when you write. When I was finishing up school, writing my thesis and that, I would go 10-12 hours on coffee and cigarettes, until I really lost the plot. I'd go back and read over my writing, some of it pretty good, some of it unintelligible, and just think to myself "what is going on here?"
    Now I have a snack before I do any work, and I can say that it helps me stay more conscious of myself and what I am doing.
    I also switched from writing at night to writing in the early morning, before the day starts. I like that better as well.