HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick grammar Q

Gail Kelley

Re: Quick grammar Q

Probably the best (most interesting to read) grammar book I have is "Grammatically Correct" by Anne Stilman.

It was recently re-released as a $6.99 paperback, available at B & N, etc. The paperback is somewhat harder to read than the original hardback, but quite a bit cheaper.

Alan Smith

Depends, it seems to me on wether your contraction represents 'Where did' ir 'Where would'
    Your sentence 'Where'd you put it?' could mean either.

I would possibly use 'Where d'you put it' I think, with the apostrophe correctly indicating the position of a missing letter.

You know btw, there is no such thing as a "Quick" grammar question.

Regards. Alan.

Nick Dobbie

Thanks guys. Oh, and Mr. Bonner, how does one know his/her tools of trade - these being grammar and word usage, without writing something first? I hope you didn't learn to drive a car by reading the owner's manual...

Denis Bonner

Nick, no offence meant. In my day they actually taught grammar and spelling to kids at school.

And I hope you didn't learn to drive by hopping into your car and driving around without knowing the rules of the road!!

Nick Dobbie

None taken. I should have paid more attention in my 'Dialogue Writing for Novels' class when I was fourteen. I know most of the road rules, but I still have insurance. I would be a fool to think knowing the rules meant I would never crash. Sometimes I drive like a madman.

Denis Bonner

Mind you William Gibson reckoned that when he started writing he was like a carpenter who didn't know how to use his tools - hammering nails with a wrench (something like that anyway). On balance it is probably good not to know too much - leastways not take too much heed. Languages are still evolving no matter how hard the academics try to nail them down. Bill Shakespeare was annoyed that there weren't enough words and made quite a few up...

I am perhaps too creative with my punctuation, and use it for dramatic effect.

Pat Mac

David,

You're beating a dead horse, but I agree.