HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    r rollins

MSWord where do I get it?

I have just bought a laptop and for some reason I assumed MSWord would be on it--it isn't.

Do you know where I can get it?
    Navigating Microsoft.com doesn't help me much either.

Yvonne Oots

Re: MSWord where do I get it?

Did you get extra disks with the laptop that you have to install. If not... you should be able to buy it at any decent store... that sells computer products such as Media Play...
    Yvonne

Mark Verg

If you are a student/teacher you can buy Microsoft Office (includes Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) for $150 at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product

Otherwise it costs $240 to upgrade it from Microsoft Works (I presume you currently have that on your computer if you bought it with Windows already installed).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....8&type=product

Vicky Scott

I have MS Word, and I believe there is a disk that goes with it. Although, I've never had the cause to use it. (thank heavens) Maybe one of your friends could lend you theirs?

Vicky Scott

Great idea, if you want to get arrested.

Oh right, this is top priority for law enforcement agencies worldwide. Even as we speak, there's a tap going on my phone for even suggesting it. They want to make sure, you see, that they nab me in the act. They have to be there to arrest me at the moment the drop is made.

And in that one dark and murky moment of crime when I hand the disk to my friend, I've joined the criminal fraternity for ever. And it means a life sentence (at least) with no time off for good behaviour. Ah the spoils of crime.

Nicole Bailey

If you just go to Microsoft online, you can download it there, and will probably get a discount because you bought a pc and are upgrading. Worth looking into. I went through this same headache when I bought my 'loaded' laptop. Yeah, loaded with everything except word, and outlook. I upgraded to msoffice and got the student/teacher rate of $150 or even less because I was upgrading from a Compaq computer.

Gary Kessler

"And in that one dark and murky moment of crime when I hand the disk to my friend, I've joined the criminal fraternity for ever."

So, basically, Vicky, you're saying it's just OK to steal the product and not pay for(?) How do you feel about the intellectual property rights of your own works?

Mark Verg

I never get how people can so easily justify theft. I mean, why pay for groceries if a person feels that way? But then...there was a time that I also used pirated software. It's so common, even today, that I guess a lot of people don't think it's really wrong.

Now that I'm more interested in actually making a living by selling intangible assets (the rights to my story) I am more aware, I guess. But it goes deeper than that. It's just wrong to steal. I'm glad the music industry is coming down so hard on people for illegal downloads. It brings attention to something that has gone on long enough.

Just my opinion.

Gary Kessler

"Now that I'm more interested in actually making a living by selling intangible assets (the rights to my story) I am more aware."

Good for you, Mark. Unfortunately, I've found that most writers remain clueless on this. Not just a "these rules are for everyone but me" attitude (which does exist, of course), but also a basic disconnect that they are talking out of both sides of their mouth concerning other people's property and their own.

Vicky Scott

It's so common, even today, that I guess a lot of people don't think it's really wrong.

Following along on the assumption that sharing a disk with a friend is stealing from Microsoft, that would also have to apply, one presumes, to family as well?

i.e. "Sorry Mom, you'll have to buy your own. I couldn't possibly let you borrow mine, that would be stealing from Bill Gates."

I mean theft is theft is theft...