HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Ron Hendricks

Novel Writing Software

Is anyone using Novel Writing software? I have used Final Draft for screenwriting, but now stand on the frontier of a first novel based upon my experience here in China. Frankly, I am uncomfortable with the lack of structure and open-endedness of it all. Any suggestions?

Jerry Hatchett

Re: Novel Writing Software

Ron, I do screenwriting and novel-writing, as well. And I too use FD. In the novel world, there's really no sense in spending the cash IMO, since the industry conventions are so easily adhered to using nothing but Word. (Or WordPerfect, or StarOffice, etc.) No funky stuff like in scripts.

j

Hi Ron,
    I am using storybook.It is a good software for novel writing.Storybook is a free (open source) novel-writing tool for creative writers, novelists and authors which will help you to keep an overview of multiple plot-lines while writing books, novels or other written works.Store all information about your characters and locations in one place. Then, use the included Storybook features for managing chapters, scenes, characters and locations. A simple interface is provided to enable you to assign your defined characters and locations to each scene and to keep an overview of your work with user-friendly chart tools.

Christie L
    I'm also using Storybook. I like it so far.

Can you copy and paste an existing manuscript from Word into Storybook? Is there a Storybook for the Mac?

<Is there a Storybook for the Mac?>

I've read that it's in beta but only for OS X 10.5. If you have that OS--and the techie chops--you can try downloading the Linux version.

(Google is your friend.)

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    <Is there a Storybook for the Mac?>

I've read that it's in beta but only for OS X 10.5. If you have that OS--and the techie chops--you can try downloading the Linux version.

(Google is your friend.)
    Okay, thank you. I suppose I could've Google-d before I asked. Just thought someone might know off the top of their heads.

If you're looking for one for Mac, I'm using Writer's Cafe and I love it, it's cross platform (Windows, Mac, and Linux). There is a free version, but it is limited, I paid for the full version. The other option is a program called Growly Notes, very similar OneNote, but for Mac only and free.