HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Debbi Voisey

"Caution Advised" Forum?

In the light of the reaction to one of the posts on here, which had some characteristics that some people found offensive, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a forum on this site where people could post material that might not meet certain individual's approval.

It's a tough thing to say that writers may not post anything that could be offensive or embarrassing. How can anyone make that distinction... who knows what other people's limits are?

Some people don't like sex scenes, some don't like reading about other cultures or religions, some don't like horror or disaster, etc.

Life isn't all "rose red lips" and "waning moons". Some literature is blood thirsty, shocking, horrible, and abusive. Like life.

If we can't write about *real* life with all its (at times) offensiveness to the senses, then we should just write for Mills and Boon.

Everyone has a choice in what they read. Similarly, everyone should have a choice in what they write. And they should still have the right to have people critique it and help them, just like all the rest.

Debbi

Alan Smith

Re: "Caution Advised" Forum?

Agreed. Alan.

Alphabet

And they should still have the right to have people critique it and help them, just like all the rest.

The RIGHT??? Sorry, I have to say that again... The RIGHT???

We do not have the RIGHT to be critiqued and helped. We can ask, but if people don't want to donate their time, knowledge, or energy, then that is THEIR right.
    (And if they do not like the content or manner of your post, they probably won't help)

Debbi Voisey

Okay... I'll re-phrase it. The "right" to *sk*(nicely) just like everyone else.

And this forum,"Writing Craft",is a forum which says you can ask for help in stringing words and sentenced together, so I thought that was the whole point. Of course people don't have to reply... but we post hoping that they will. And my point was that you should not be treated any differently because your work is considered beyond the pale.

Geez, get some java! :-) Just teasing, but you know...

Debbi

Debbi Voisey

Of course, it being early it seems that I could not string my words and sentences together in the last post!!!

That should be *ask* and not *sentenced*.

Debbi

Alan Smith

I get your point Alphabet, but the choice to write what you like, for me anyway, implies the possibility of not writing about what you don't like, or can't be bothered with. I indulge myself in the odd critique when something interests me, but I only do it when the keyboard calls.
    However, the right to the POSSIBILITY of a critique will never arise, if a post is censored.
    Against that, I am absolutely against the idea of WN becoming fragmented into too many special interest groups posting elsewhere. If Hamish wanted to have an 'Adult Content' board that is a business decision for him. I am, as always, in favour of the broadest possible spread of content and ideas, preferably under one roof.

Regards. Alan.

leslee

I thought the whole argument against the post by iHarris was that children might read writing that some WNers found offensive. Dirty words and name calling, etc. Putting such "offensive" writing under a new heading won't keep children from reading it. So who will be protected by a caution warning? Although some people didn't like the work, they were certainly old enough to read it.

People post "inappropriate" work so infrequently here, I personally don't see the need for WN to do anything about it. But then, I've never believed that censorship protects children, adults or the society in general.

web master

I feel sorry for the kid who spends his carefree years inhabiting a writing forum.

Hamish (WritersNet)

We Try to Keep Things PG-13

I have removed i harris' post because it really wasn't appropriate for our audience. As a general rule: think PG-13.

As someone has already suggested, I doubt we would have enough takers to justify an "adult material" type forum.

Nothing to stop people requesting input on erotica, sex scenes etc. here. But the material for critique should be delivered via email.

Cheers
    Hamish (WritersNet)

writer bette

Re: We Try to Keep Things PG-13

Thank you, Hamish.