HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quotation Marks

Mya Bell

Re: Quotation Marks

Just a note on the <u>underline</u> convention mentioned by Daniel.

This is a holdover from typewriter days, when typewriters couldn't readily do italics. The old ones couldn't do it at all and the newer ones required the typist to change the font ball, which was a nuisance if only a few words were in italics. Thus underlining was used in manuscripts to represent italics.

A few editors and publishers still prefer underlining to indicate italics, because it's traditional. I myself prefer real italics because there's no confusion about underlining that represents italics and underlining that represents underlining.

My publishers happily accept normal italics rather than underlining to represent italics. I would only use the traditional underscore if the publisher felt strongly about continuing legacy typewriter traditions for manuscript submissions.

--- Mya Bell

Allison Pereslegin

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all your help with this!

B.R.
    Allison

Calissa Leigh

Italics is what I am seeing in books. If it's a thought, it's italics I think. )

Colenall Funch

Could depend on how long the thought is too...
    Philip Roth, in Human Stain takes us into the head of different characters directly, no italics. However their thoughts are several paragraphs long.

DH Henry

Italics, underlines and even tags can be distracting. The trend is that any such use of special characters is best used infrequently.

In some of the examples cited here, the tag, "he thought" can just be dropped and the thought itself placed on a separate line. Unnecessary tags, whether for speech or for thought are the bane of many writers, and only slow things down. I try to write dialogue and internal monologue without any tags and let the content of the speech/thought itself make it obvious who is speaking/thinking.

I wouldn't use more than a line or two of italics. Too much of it gives anyone a headache.

john folsom

I will have to admit, I am the worlds worst when it comes to quotation marks. However, I am lucky in this regard. My wife happens to be extreely good with them. She has told me to not use them on thoughts. She is an expert in this field so I go with her advice this.