HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Permissions

Robin Blue

Permissions

Hello everyone.

While I know that it is permissible to quote someone in a piece you are writing and that permission information is sometimes needed other times not.

Does anyone have usefull links or information that I could use. I need some information regarding the use of one line of lyric from a song in a piece that I am working on. I want to know where I can find out if I need permission and how I go about getting it.

Thanks,

Robin

Dean Jordan

Re: Permissions

You might wanna' try finding the record company first and see if you can e-mail them (that's all I can think of to do, if that's any help).

Wonky

Hope you're prepared to dish out bux.

Ryan Bruner

Try www.icgcopyright.com.

If they don't represent the copyright holder of a song, they will know who does.

Ryan Bruner

BTW, ICG Copyright is who I went through to get permission to video tape a choir performance I did that contained all my own music except ONE song. That one song would end up costing me $.12 per copy of video I made.

Robin Blue

I don't know why I just replied, clicked post and was redirected to the general forum page again. Hmm...

Wonky,

I don't have big bucks. If I did however, I'd like to know the process it takes and where to start when it comes to getting permissions.

I know that there is an allowable useage exception in some cases. I also know that for instance, the song Love is Blind (if it isn't that one, it's another that sends the same message) is allowed to be played in any work that deals with education and prevention of intimate partner violence. It is also allowed to be included in any website that is created for the same reason or that will assist the creator to use the song as a means to reduce the effects of such violence. The artist has to make a request, statement of purpose and how the work will be used. There is no charge for the usage because the performing artist is involved with assisting in the effort as well.

Books such as Ann Rule's 'Small Sacrifies' makes reference to a certian song repeatedly in her true crime book. The song is also played and referenced in the movie as well. I don't know if she had to pay a lot of money to use the material, if the screen play writer had to pay for usage in the movie, or if it fell under any sort of exception rule becuase it was all documented fact and matter of public record. Mine isn't true crime (although it does site several documented criminal acts) and I'm just wondering if it falls into any allowable usage exception that is similar to the usage policy for the song I mentioned in the previous section of this post.

I just want to know how do go about finding out where to start. If I learn that it's going to cost a fortune, I won't use it. It is just something that I'd like to include in my work. It's not that important, but will help create a picture of the point I am making reference to.

Thanks again,

Robin

Sir Guinep

Exactly why I don't quote others. I don't want anything to cut into my big advance..lol

Picture Book

You'll need permission, & if your MS is to be published, you (THE AUTHOR) will have to pay a fee from about $250 upwards, and you'll also need written permission that you & the publishers, including those who make the tea, have permission to.....etc, etc. And the copyright owners will take an age to respond....

But you can use song titles without permission, & certain quotes from books as long as it's "fair use." Etc, etc, etc.....

leslee

Robin, there was a recent (well, within the past couple of months) thread on this subject. I can't recall the subject title, but perhaps there's more info for you if you can locate it.

Picture Book

I'm dealing as I speak with permissions...