HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    A.E. Force

What is Spec Fiction?

Anyone here who can tell me what spec fiction is? Thanks!

Heather Brewer

Re: What is Spec Fiction?

<http://www.greententacles.com/articles/5/26/>

Hope this helps!

Ryan Bruner

"Speculative Fiction" is another term that is used to refer to science fiction and some types of fantasy. But, it is a bit more "refined". Science fiction is more broad.

Speculative fiction is sort of "imagining what the world would be like if..."

This opens stories up for a lot of interesting things.

You might write a story based on questions like:

- What would the world be like if time travel were common place?
    - What would the world be like if mosquitoes could talk?
    - What would the world be like if gravity suddenly became unstable?

Etc.

You then speculate what would happen and write a story such said world.

Pipistrelle Raven

Wow! Speculate fiction! Will have to give that a try! Sounds like a bundle of laughs!

Is there a special fiction name for sci fi that creates new and fantabulous places? It needs to be a cool name. If there isn't one, then someone should invent a name for it! *raises hand* I will!

Sorry, I'm a total high at the moment!

Raven

Ryan Bruner

Raven:

That would fall under speculative fiction. :-)

Pipistrelle Raven

Really!? Good stuff! I'm not a sci fi writer I'm a speculativer! Woohoo! I'm more catogorised! Funfunfun!

Loving it! You learn something new everyday!

Raven

Ryan Bruner

In fact, if you see the abbreviation "SF" used rather than "sci-fi", SF usually means speculative fiction, not sci-fi. Though, over time the lines have blurred, much to the chagrin of those who do NOT write sci-fi, but DO write SF. :-)

Pipistrelle Raven

Wow! That's really interesting! You learn something new every day, thanks dude!

Raven

Glen T. Brock

Hello folks,

Somebody is not very familiar with the science fiction/fantasy genre. Here's a little history lesson.

Hugo Gernsback created the genre in 1926 when he started AMAZING magazine. He called the genre 'scientifiction'. This was abbreviated to s.f. or science fiction.

John W. Campbell, one of the most influencial editors of all time, refined the genre from strictly technofiction to social and psycho/political stories emphasizing the affect of technology on society.

One of Campbell's stable of writers was Robert A. Heinlein, who wrote for Campbell's fantasy magazine, UNKNOWN, under the psuedonym Anson MacDonald. He is reputed to be the first writer to use the phrase 'speculative fiction' in describing fantasy. Campbell's style sheet required fantasy stories to have the same logical sequencing as the science fiction stories in ASTOUNDING (later ANALOG).

The man who actually created the phrase 'speculative fiction' as a seperate genre was Harlan Ellison, who, in the 1960s established speculative fiction as an experimental style used extensively at his Clarion workshop project. Ellison, known for his experimental and unorthodox style popularized the genre.

Speculative Fiction is a style of writing where the illogical is developed logically. This can be acheived by style or content. Whatever premise is established must be supported logically. If, for example, your writing has dragons incorporated in the narrative, the dragons must be explained logically (how the dragon occupies the biosphere, how dragons breath fire or fly, etc.). Speculative fiction is not neccessarily s.f. or fantasy. Although it could be argued it is a type of futurism it does not neccessarily fit that niche either. Clearly, however, it is experimental both in style and content.

Glen T. Brock

Ryan Bruner

Glen:

Nice information.

I wanted to come back to give examples of where science fiction is NOT speculative fiction.

Star Wars is a great example. It isn't speculative...it is a fantasy world created simply to have an action/story exist. There is little attempt to be speculative at all. In fact, Star Wars seems to do very little at explaining how ANYTHING works.

Star Trek, as well, isn't speculative...though, it tries to be at times. They frequently just invent whatever they feel like it and make it sound all techy in order to make their story work.

Wellsian Science fiction, on the other, is a good example of speculative fiction. But, as Glen mentioned, speculative fiction isn't limited to fantasy or sci-fi...but most would categorize speculative fiction in one of those two genres for lack of another.