HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dream Sequence?

A. B. Roper

Dream Sequence?

In the novel I'm working on, I want one of my characters to remember something that happened several months before the book began. She feels extremely guilty about her part in the events and has tried to forget it all. I'm writing a dream sequence as a way of making her remember.

Here's my problem...I don't remember more than a handful of my own dreams. How realistic is a dream if it is based on a memory? How emotionally colored do events become? To what degree are details exagerated?

Thank you for any help.
    A.B. Roper

pundit

Re: Dream Sequence?

This is fiction, remember? You get to make stuff up!

That said, some people have incredibly vivid dreams. I've had dreams where I argued with somebody, and for days afterwards couldn't help but feel angry towards that person, even though we never argued in real life - that's how powerful that dream was.

So I think the sky's the limit.

P

Trisha

My dreams are extremely vivid and in HD Wide Screen Format! Seriously, they are very clear at times. However, they donít unwind in a structured beginning, middle, and end type scenario.

Can you handle the dream in fragments? Sensory stimulators throughout her day can bring back bits and pieces. Thatís what happens to me.

-Trisha

Mary M.

According to Gustavus Hindman Miller's Preface in his book, THE DICTIONARY OF DREAMS, a dream is an event transpiring in the world belonging to the mind when the objective senses have withdrawn into rest or oblivion.

So, as pundit suggested, you're in charge of your fiction!

Dave Kuzminski

In a recent manuscript, I used a dream sequence to take the reader through what put the character in his current situation. At the same time, he was being watched by two friends who were concerned about him because he went through that same nightmare whenever it rained. They had no idea why or that it had rained on the night when he went through his ordeal. At any rate, it wasn't important that the character remember his dream. It only served as a way to bring the reader up to date without going through a lot of ordinary stuff that happened in the intervening years.

Dee jay

My current ms. has a short dream sequence in it - I used it to emphasize the psychic powers of a certain character. The dream is sequential but also very short -

Deej

Gordon Mc Robbie

I read somewhere that in dreams, the significant is rendered insignificant, and the insignificant is rendered significant.

I have sometimes found this to be true.

Perhaps the real punch line of your character's dream could be some tiny detail which she does not recognise at first, but when it recurs later in another dream, she is enlightened.

Gordon

Queen V

There is an awesome little book called "Get A Grip on Dreams" by Maeve Ennis and Jennifer Parker, it's a fun little read, and looks at dreams from first a scientific, then historical, then interpretational point of view. Very groovy retro illustrations, too. If you want to use dreams in your writing, I highly recommend this as a good pocket guide.

Ryan Bruner

Has anyone actually relived some past experience in a dream? I haven't...though aspects of the EMOTIONS that I might have to deal with from some past experience might turn up in my dreams in other ways.

Now, I have had my dreams take place in locations that I have been to...but the situations are altogether different. Or I may experience a similar situation/scenario, but in a different location with, perhaps, different people.