HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Laundromat

Brady

Laundromat

Okay, need help, and my dictionaries and thesaurii can't help.

I have a character who lives in a trailer park where in the middle of the complex is a building that functions as a Laundromat (coin operated washing machines and clothes dryers). Can anybody think of a different noun for this building besides Laundromat?

Thanks in advance.

Brady

Remington

Re: Laundromat

Laundry room. Even if it's in a stand-along building, you can call it a laundry room.

Maybe "laundry shed"...

littera

Yep, laundry room. Or just laundry.

Our townhouse complex has a laundry room/mail room/community room combo.

Laundromat makes me think of a business.

~L~

Minnie Mouse

What's wrong with "laundromat"? Is it a registered trademark? If so, you can just capitalize. Or not. I refuse to capitalize the word "realtor". Just won't do it.

Brady

Thanks all. I had written "...he toted all the laundry to the laundry and..." before I realized how moronic that sounded.

I like laundry house. Laundry shed sounded too small, and laundry compound sounded too big. Laundry room sounded more like it could have been a room within the trailer itself, not a separate building in the park. This is a white trash, run-down trailer park.

And laundromat just sounds like a separate business, not just the laundry machines for a trailer park.

Thanks again.

Brady

Brady

Sound good?

By the time Roy had toted all the dirty clothes to the laundry house in the center of the trailer park, and started the wash cycles on three machines, he glanced out the window and saw Deputy Phillips had already arrived at his granny’s trailer.

Brady

J R

Re: Sound good?

"Laundry house"? Oh hell no, please don't make that mistake.

Brady

Still open for suggestions. Hard to pay attention to "that's bad" when there's no "but this is good", John.

) <-----smiley.

Brady

Lynn

I liked laundry shed (suggested above). Kind of goes with the run-down trailer park. Maybe laundry hut?

Ryan Bruner

Laundry building. In the context of how you are using it, laundry building doesn't convey anything more than just a small, trailer-park style building.

<quote>By the time Roy had toted all the dirty clothes to the laundry building at the center of the trailer park and started the wash cycles on three machines, he glanced out the window and saw Deputy Phillips had already arrived at his granny’s trailer.</quote>

I imagine this to be a small building, like you would see in a strip mall, etc.

Of course, laundry hut, to me, would imply that it is a covered area with washers and dryers, not even necessarily enclosed. I doubt this is the case.

Laundry house just sounds weird, but it would work.