HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Big Letdown

David

Big Letdown

I just finished the first draft of my suspense novel. I'm going to let it sit for a while before starting the edits.

I'm curious, how do you all usually feel when you finish a project that's consumed 6 months of your life? What do you do? Besides write, that is. I can't even think about writing right now.

Terri

Re: Big Letdown

I go on to the next story while obsessing over the first one. But sometimes I go read a book to settle the thinking part of my brain before I go on.

Chris Graham

Sometimes while the ideas are still fresh I'll begin scrapping out a query or 2. Of course, these copies never see the light of day, but it usually gets me headed in the right direction and I'm usually thankful for the headstart once I'm finished editing.

Laurence

It only took you six months?

Ed Poe

When I finished the first draft of my novel (six months and 21 days) I devoted my energies to researching and developing a list of agents to query. The rewrites and revisions were not as involved as I had originally anticipated, taking only a month or so.

I didn't really see it as a letdown, more of an opportunity to get the thing out there and see if it could be sold. That was eighteen months ago.

--Ed

Gary Kessler

I usually have thoughts of the next project(s) pushing in so hard, it's a relief to be able to sign off on this project.

David

to Laurence:

yes, it was about 1 month of working out a very rough outline and then 5 months of writing 4-5 days a week.

I cranked out about 4,000 words a week, more as I got near the end, to 91,000 word count.

the real question: how many of those 91K will survive?

Keith Postler

My first draft (first manuscript) took almost four months, about 1,000 words a day -- everyday -- which is less than I wanted. The end word count was about 115k.

--Keith

Terez

Of my original 110,000 words, I'd say about 60% survived, but between the two points, it went up to 130,000, got lots cut and added at the same time, and now it's at 100,000. My first draft was pretty rough, though. Yours might be quite good and only require an edit of 10% of the work.

Tim Chamberlain

After completing my first full length novel MS I went to Rome and generally walked around in a daze, feeling a strange mixture of artistic exhaustion and self-satisfaction.