HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Jennifer Lyon

Re: Templates, etc.

I don't use templates, either, but I do consider all of the factors listed above. I guess you could say it's more of a mental exercise for me vs. something where I sit at a desk and write out all the details. I might not use all of this information in an actual story, but it does give me a clearer sense of who my main character is and how he/she relates to others and reacts to various situations.

Brady, in addition to "education" you may also want to add "intelligence." Some people equate the two, but this isn't always the case. Your main character (MC) could be a genius who never finished high school, or a below-average IQ rich kid whose daddy got him into Harvard. Is your MC more "book smart" or "street smart"? Does he/she have special talents or abilities? Does your MC show off these abilities or does he/she hide them?

Brady Boyd

Zixx

Templates, bios, thangies, dumaflotchies, whatever you wanna call them--same thing.

Brady Boyd

David

Re: Zixx

Regardless of whether you use templates:

How do you approach character and story?

1. do you create the character and then find the story to drop him/her into, and seeing if they can adapt to the story's challenges?

2. do you come up with the story and then decide, OK, I'll need these kinds of characters with these kinds of traits?

3. Do you let them come to life themselves? example, you're writing along, 50 pages in, and you see that Hero is confronted with a snake, then oh, you decide Hero is afraid of snakes, and then oh, you decide it's because as a teenager, Hero fell into a box of snakes on a circus train while trying to escape some bad guys (free donuts to who first IDs the reference). I find this approach to be the most difficult because it can create a lot of inconsistencies in your character over the span of 350 pages.

Brady Boyd

Re: Zixx

1)Yes, sometimes. I will use any tool, method, or guidelines to help me create my characters.

2)Yes, sometimes. I will use any tool, method, or guidelines to help me create my characters.

3)Yes, sometimes. I will use any tool, method, or guidelines to help me create my characters.

And I will also ignore anybody who jumps in my face and tells me that this method or that method doesn't work. What matters is end results, and if standing on my head while I think of ideas works good for me on Wednesday mornings and Sunday nights, then by golly I'll be standing on my head at those times. Templates sometimes work for me to get a story started or restarted. Oh, I heard to "advice", but after that it just became "Blah blah blah."

Brady Boyd

Tim Chamberlain

David

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

Tim Chamberlain

Creativity = MC squared

If there was a formula behind creativity word processors wouldn't need authors to write books for them!

I reckon all techniques are valid. The important thing is using the right one for you, your project, the time of the month, alignment of the stars, or whatever - and then going your own unique way with it.

Tim Chamberlain

Donuts David?

DO'H-NUUTS! I WANT MY DO'H-NUTS ... WHERE'S MY DO'H-NUTS?

yours Homer TIMpson

SquidNote

Brady's Way

Wow, Brady. You've become so open-minded, tolerant and mature lately. I'm going to have to change my attitude toward you!

Brady Boyd

Re: Brady's Way

Rock on, Squid. I'm love changing attitudes, then chameleoning to something else.

Brady Boyd

Gary Kessler

Re: Brady's Way

Oh, that SquidNote.