HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Luvsabeach

spacing after sentence

I have a question concerning spacing after a sentence. I have been using two spaces, however yesterday I came across a thread in which Ron was asking for assistance on the easiest way to make this change in his manuscript. I have several books on manuscripts and up until seeing this thread, I had never heard of this. So is it one or two spaces? Or does it matter?

Thanks!

Ed Potter

Re: spacing after sentence

two spaces = old typewriter convention

one space = publishing standard

one space = how agents, editors, and typesetters would like to see your manuscript

two spaces = might pass by any of the above without damage to your career unless said person is having a really bad day and your tiny mistake in format pushes the wrong button.

I learned to type using two spaces and I still type that way. When I'm done, I use the global replace mentioned on a previous thread.

Gary K. is the expert, so if he has anything to add or any corrections I bow to him now. (Basically, I don't want to have to post a "thanks for straightening me out, Gary" later.)

Gary Kessler

Oh, Lordy. It's four spaces, of course. What in the heck do you think you're going to learn that you didn't from the thread you cite? Sheep. Sheep. Writers are sheep!

Luvsabeach

You guys are a hoot! I wouldn't want to be the person who is responsible for sending some poor agent over the edge (unless I was there to watch...tee hee).

Gary, sorry for asking such a dumb question, but honestly, this was news to me. I guess I should get out more often.

Thanks so much for the help.

Luvsabeach

Ohhhhh...I followed the instructions and it worked.

Gary Kessler

Another recent WritersNet thread on this: <http://www.writers.net/forum/read.php?f=10&i=69439&t=68827>

May I suggest the whole herd shuffle out to the bookstore and purchase one of the following two eyeopeners, as appropriate?

Robin Williams (no, not the comedian), The PC Is Not a Typewriter (Peachpit Press, 1990)

Robin Williams (no, still not the comedian), The MAC Is Not a Typewriter (Peachpit Press, 1990)

Luvsabeach

Thank you. I shuffled off to Amazon. There might be hope for me yet.

Ames

*What?!* My PC isn't a typewriter? That's the same lousy excuse Dell gave me when they refused my warantee claim last month. I called to complain that the White Out slathered all over my monitor hindered my use of their machine. They told me I wasn't supposed to use White Out. I countered that if I wasn't supposed to use White Out, they should include a correction cartridge with their notebooks.

Cheap b#%$$*@#. You drop over a grand on their computers and they don't give you so much as a slot for the correction cartridge, let alone a complimentary cartridge in the box.

Baaaaaa humbug.

Ames, the Annoyed Sheep

Iris

FWIW: I wrote two books on a computer using two spaces. No one batted an eye. I sold a third book for nice money based on a proposal typed with two spaces. When I learned that I was supposed to be using one space, I just starting typing one space. Took me all of one paragraph to form the new habit.

Ames

Took me all of one paragraph to form the new habit.

Can I borrow your brain, Iris? After twenty years of typing with two spaces (drilled into me in a high school typing class), I'm having a heck of a time switching over. Have to think about it too much. Thank goodness for search and replace or I'd be woefully inconsistent!

Of course, I have to remember to search and replace...and that's a whole 'nother battle ;-)

Ames