HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Pamela

Re: Wow.

I have to agree with Karen that the cited example about feathering of leaves vs pine needles is way too close for my comfort level. There are times I read things and think I wish I had come up with that, but mainly because I consider that turn of phrase out-of-bounds now.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious but I think it is better to stay far away from even the appearance stealing/plagiarism, and clever metaphors, or unique turns of phrase ought to be included in that.

I do think that the example of the painting is different because it is a different picture, different painter, used differently (I assume) and because it is an element in the book, not the author's wording.

Pamela

Holli Moncrieff

Slightly Different Take

The "wows" I collect are from real life. When someone shares an anecdote or I observe something interesting, I write it down to use in a novel or story.

The bus is a constant source of inspiration....

That said, Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible did blow me away. I've heard her say in an interview that she tries to create metaphors that have never been used before. I think she succeeded.