HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Ames

Re: ROFLMAO

Well, women *were* burning unmentionables back in the 60's & 70's, right? Maybe you unintentionally started a trend ;-)

Ames

Roy Abrahams

Granny.....you gotta write up that episode for a woman's magazine. Honest. Humor sells well with them and I'd like to envision all the readers suddenly needing to take baths. EEEeehehehehehe

Murg

I am so unbelievably sorry I missed this entire exchange! In any event, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purana Purdy

Permissions Clause

Simon and Schuster's standard permissions clause states that it is the author's responsibility "to obtain and deliver at the author's own expense" all permissions. Furthermore, it states that the publisher has the right to obtain any permissions which the author fails to obtain and to charge the author for the service.

ASCAP and publishers may be of some help in helping you find who held the copyright last time a work was published (including song lyrics), but the rights to the song or poem may have been sold since it was last published. For example, until recently, if one wanted to quote many of the Beatles' lyrics, one would not write to Capitol records, or Apple records, or MacLen Music, but to Michael Jackson's holding company! Jackson bought the rights to many of the Beatles' songs in the '90's (but recently resold them to finance his mounting debts. Expect to hear lots of Beatles cover songs in the near future!).

The publisher may own the rights to a work, but that is not the rule. In the case of song lyrics, expect to pay through the nose if you need the Rolling Stones' lyrics. The going price for usage largely depends upon the musicians' marketability and disposition.

Don't expect a standard fee to be charged for anything if the musician is still the holder of the copyright.

Beware of fair use: this is highly subjective and depends upon the case.

Regarding public domain: anything written before 1928 is in the public domain UNLESS ITS COPYRIGHT HAS BEEN RENEWED.Do your research!

Be prepared to provide information about your work to both literary and music publishers and the holders of the copyrights: title of book, publisher (if you have one), type of work, hardcover or paperback, and even distribution information (this helps to determine the fee, I think).

One more thing: expect to fill out a contract if you deal with a publisher or an umbrella company.

ASCAP search database: www.allmusic.com
    BMI search database: www.bmi.com

For books in print: www.booksinprint.com

Library of Congress Online: catalog.loc.gov

Legal info: www.publishers.org
    " " staff@authorsguild.org

Copyright Clearance center: www.copyright.com

Brady Boyd

Re: Permissions Clause

Thank you, PP.

BB

scaredy cat Sandra

Re: Permissions Clause

As this is my first novel, I have been tryign to get the the correct copyright information for use of song lyrics. Sheesh, $$$ for ONE measly line multiplied by another $$$ for an addtional song and another and another...Ohmigawd I'm gonna pay through the nose if I ever get this door stop of mine off the ground. Does anyone know if the need for permission also applies to song titles? Anyone? Anyone?