HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Zack Little

Frankenstein and his viewpoint.

This is just a minor question, regarding a grade I got on a paper. I lost three points on a certain question, because I said that in Frankenstein, the viewpoint never formally shifts from Frankenstein to his monster when they meet the second time. When the monster is narrating, he's just talking to Victor, there's nothing to indicate a change in viewpoint, no actual narration, just the monster talking a lot. It never breaks out of the quotes until Victor's narration comes in. So I put down that the viewpoint remained in Victor's. Now, it's no big deal, I made a 94 on the test. But it's going to bug me to no end, so can I get the advice of someone who has read Frankenstein and would be a good judge on the subject?

Glen T. Brock

Re: Frankenstein and his viewpoint.

Zack,

Gee, its been a long time since I read FRANKENSTEIN. Anyway, here goes.

Victor Frankenstein is narrating the novel, having been picked up by whalers at sea when he was near death. However, the end of the novel is from the monster's point of view. Although he vowed to kill his creator, he resolved the issue by destroying his life, telling him about it, then wandering out on an ice flow to die himself. In committing the blasphemy of creating the monster, he is condemned to witness the destruction of everything dear to him, including his own creation.

Make sense?

Glen T. Brock

p.s.: Congratulations on your grade!