HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "a" and "an"

shirley

Re: Dictionary

From the south too. Much more comfortable with pronouncing the H in homage. On the same breath I say 'Houston" with a long 'u' sound rather than like house-ton as in the north. As far as I'm concerned both are correct, subject only to personal choice.

K in Michigan

Houston, we have a problem?

I'm born and raised in Michigan and have never heard anyone say "House-ton." It's Hew-ston to me.

Gary, that's a new one on me about forte. Whaddya know.

Hah-madge...Oh-majjj....ah, forget it. Tribute.

Dejah

Re: Houston, we have a problem?

I've never pronounced the 'h' in homage, but I guess its all based, like others have said, on personal preference. And as for Houston...I pronounce it like K in Michigan...Hew-stun, but then again, even though I'm from Texas (born and mostly raised) I've noticed that what area you're from dictates how you pronounce things. Two people can live within forty miles of the same place, go to basically the same schools, grow up in similar environments, and still pronounce things differently.

Dejah

Mike

Then there's Norlins, just down the road a stretch from Uston. But you gotta go thru Nacadoches and Nacadish.

Dejah

New Orleans is a funny one for me...sometimes I find myself saying 'Norlins' (as you did, Mike) but others...well, when in Rome...do as the Romans do, or in this case, when in New Orleans, do as the New'ahhhlens, do...LOL

Steve

It's Nawlins

Just as a point of Southern pride: more great writers come out of the South than out of the Northeast (I'm sure of it--no actual evidence) and the three of the four distinctly American forms of music originated here. And it's Hhhhhomage, though I'm with Gary, no 'a' or 'an' in front. It just sounds funny. If it sounds funny, I don't do it. I write fiction in first person, and if I won't say it, why would the character (yeah, sure, different dialect)?

Granny

NC here

Born and raised...though recently shipped kicking and screaming to New England.

I have always as homage with a silent h...but then, it's not a word most of my social circle would have understood so I probably didn't say it all that often :-)

Though, I have to admit...I never gave it much thought, but I just assumed the bunch of furniture you shoved in your bedroom was a suit. If I saw it in print, I would have said suite, but I think I figured it was a whole different word.

But then again...nothing in my house matches so it's not a word I would have used either :-)

Gran

KB

Re: NC here

On the subject of differences in pronunciation, there is a great series on in England at the moment called The Adventure of English. The second series kicked off with the the Pilgrims' arrival in America and how American English developed. It was apparently quite a conscious statement for early American settlers to pronounce all their vowels, rather than mangling them, which they associated with the British aristocracy they were trying to distance themselves from. For instance, Americans say "veh-i-cle", whereas Brits say "veercle". (There are dozens other such examples, but my brain is fried at the moment.) And when he compiled the American Dictionary, Webster himself changed the spelling of many words, omitting needless vowels (eg. "colour"/"color") and swapping letters around ("centre"/"center"). Again, this was seen as part of the process of trying to break away from England, by applying a no-nonsense approach to spelling rather than basing it on tradition. (Though personally I like retaining the French spellings...) Highly interesting.
    Cheers,
    Keith

Dejah

Re: NC here

Keith,

I'm gonna assume you come from the other side of the Atlantic (from me that is...LOL)...

Another point of interest I've noticed about the way you guys speak over there, is you say things like 'I'm going to hospital' instead of 'to THE hospital' which is something we would say here. It's interesting, cuz its not JUST pronunciation and word spellings, but actual sentence structure that can be different too.

Dejah

Glen T. Brock

Re: What about Omar?

Hello folks,

From his hotel suite Omar paid homage to his tailor's suit.

One of the great causes espoused by Theodore Roosevelt was a project to 'americanize' the English language in the United States. The public was more interested in his other politics. He was shot while giving a speech (and completed the speech before seeking treatment, by the way)but I don't think it was for tinkering with the language.

We americans are not English. We don't speak in English. We do not write in English. We speak and write in American, which incorporates many languages from all over the world. Even the English don't really speak English (if English is the language of the Saxons, Jutes, and Anglish). All of that changed in 1066 when Harold got a headache playing with the Normans. The English of Chaucer is practically incomprehensible to today's readers.

I have always understood a suite to be a hotel room, having a room seperate from the bedroom for entertaining. A suite, as in a living room or bedroom suite, is a set of matching furniture. A suit is a matching set of clothing. As Omar would say homage is pronounced oh-mage.

Glen T. Brock