HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "a" and "an"

Ste J

Re: Houston, we have a problem?

I've never heard the word "homage" pronounced with a silent H. In fact, I've only ever heard the word once on one of my wrestling videos, lol.

Nora Christie

"a" and "an"

Okay, you grammar mavens. The latest issue of The New Yorker contains not one but two examples of the use of "an homage" (like, paid to someone). I maintain that, because the "h" is sounded, the article should be "a". For example, "a homage long overdue," instead of "an homage long overdue."
    What do you think?

Nora

Marlys Pearson

Re: "a" and "an"

The H is frequently silent in homage--some dictionaries give that pronunciation first, some give it second. Presumably the New Yorker goes with the silent crowd.

Franny T

I don't think I've ever heard homage pronounced without a silent H. Where are you from, Nora?

Gary Kessler

I don't think I've ever seen it used with an article at all.

"He paid homage to his former teacher."

Keith Cronin

Nora must be accustomed to some regional pronunciation with which I'm not familiar.

I've either heard it pronounced similarly to "Amish" but with a J sound on the end, or the more high-faluting "oh MODGE." But I've never heard it pronounced "HOM idge."

The place where I've seen it get iffy is with words like "historic." I usually refer to "AN historic event," but would be justified in saying "A historic event," as long as I hit the H pretty clearly.

Interesting stuff!

KC

Steve

I usually (when I hear it) hear HOMAGE pronounced with an audible 'H.' I'm from the South.

Franny T

Gary, here's an example: "It wasn't a critique, it was an homage."

Gary Kessler

Which I would render "It wasn't critique, it was homage." It's like "pride." I wouldn't use an article for pride, either (unless we were talking about a lion family).

Franny T

Or maybe you'd say "an act of homage." Well, I'll have to check out how "an homage" was used in the New Yorker.